Climber Interviews, OMG!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see the tree industry as one that is fighting to overcome a stereotype of tobacco spitting rednecks trying to make a living. I personally believe that professionalism is important in any business including arboriculture. However, it can be taken into the overkill zone. Certification is a good thing but it is not something that should be over-emphasized. I believe that professionalism is more important than certification!!

Is youe name Jeo?
Jeff

To tell the truth, I could care less what some internet wannabe thinks of me. The only opinion that matters to me is that of my clientele. I have been good enough at the trade to make it on my own for several years now without having to be taken under someone else's wing.

That pretty much sums it up MD.

I got a call last week:

Umm, I'm lookin' for a jawb...

Me: What experience do you have?

Ya, I worked around my yard since I was a kid

Me: Do you have any formal training?

Ya, I worked for my uncle

Me: What does you uncle do?

He does some home maintenance and yard work

Me: Do you have a name...?

Ya... (I can't even remember it)

Me: I don't have anything now, I'm a small company that specializes in tree work.

But I need a jawb...

Me: Call ABC , XYZ, and PDQ companies, they are always looking for keen young Bermudians...

I called dem aredy...they ain't hirin'...

Me: Well good luck and next time you might want to start a conversation with Hello, and my name is...

LOSER!!!!

sorry.....

what iam trying to say is, a certification dont make a climber, u can read the book and pass, hell, my father in law is 68., he read the book, took the test and passed, is he a climber now, hell no, he can barely climb his darm truck, not judging,iam upset at so many stupid employes turning down good climbers,cause of a piece of paper, makes no difference to me, iam in louisiana now, making good cash, heading to iowa next, for the lake that dissapear, wanna join me, and make some money, ill give u the number, but be aware, u cabt use ur bucket truck, is muddy:givebeer::popcorn:

I don't have a bucket truck.MDS stole it!

He's older than me so he must have needed it more.

Actually I never had a bucket truck.

Nothing in Iowa for me but thanks.

I got a call last week:

Umm, I'm lookin' for a jawb...

Me: What experience do you have?

Ya, I worked around my yard since I was a kid

Me: Do you have any formal training?

Ya, I worked for my uncle

Me: What does you uncle do?

He does some home maintenance and yard work

Me: Do you have a name...?

Ya... (I can't even remember it)

Me: I don't have anything now, I'm a small company that specializes in tree work.

But I need a jawb...

Me: Call ABC , XYZ, and PDQ companies, they are always looking for keen young Bermudians...

I called dem aredy...they ain't hirin'...

Me: Well good luck and next time you might want to start a conversation with Hello, and my name is...

LOSER!!!!

Well, I probably shouldn't be posting at this point.. but I must say your hate is so attractive Bermie! Lol.

Last edited:
I like number 3 the best - (time off to go to court). Some of the best climbers I know have extensive criminal records. Great guys and very professional, but have a thing about getting in trouble. Always thought it just goes with the attitude for the job.

Wait just a minute. Don't be jumping to conclusions, etc. He could be a material witness for a very important case.

:monkey:

Ahhhhh so Copenhagen make me an amateur

Actually I chew myself and tried to remember to spit my dip out before bidding a job. So no your not an amatuer because you dip copenhagen. You need to read my post again. I said that there is a STEREOTYPE when it comes to tree guys and the industry is having a hard time in some areas of the country overcoming the prejudgement that tree guys are a rough bunch.
Its almost impossible to have a descent discussion on this site anymore. All everyone wants to do is argue and think that they are right about everything. As a matter of fact thats the way it has always been ever since I have been on here. I would like to know how everyone on here knows so damn much about tree work when they are on the computer all the time? Some of you guys spend more time on arboristsite than the job site!

Last edited:
Actually I chew myself and tried to remember to spit my dip out before bidding a job. So no your not an amatuer because you dip copenhagen. You need to read my post again. I said that there is a STEREOTYPE when it comes to tree guys and the industry is having a hard time in some areas of the country overcoming the prejudgement that tree guys are a rough bunch.
Its almost impossible to have a descent discussion on this site anymore. All everyone wants to do is argue and think that they are right about everything. As a matter of fact thats the way it has always been ever since I have been on here. I would like to know how everyone on here knows so damn much about tree work when they are on the computer all the time? Some of you guys spend more time on arboristsite than the job site!

Sounds like a pretty rough bunch... Better put your man suit on and suck it up before they knock some bark off of ya. ;)

Lol I weren't arguing merely asked a question. I only got in about 58 hours last week but was happy to have the work to do so.

I hear ya. 3 months and I'm still wearing nicotine patches. Sometimes I feel like I need to take a vacation form the world. Thank God my guys are understanding because I know there have been a been a few times that I wouldn't want to be working for me.

Still, the cancer is almost certainly a result of 25 years of dipping Rope. I don't like to preach because I know how hard it is to quit. But I'd get off of it if you can. For your grand kids sake.

I hear ya. 3 months and I'm still wearing nicotine patches. Sometimes I feel like I need to take a vacation form the world. Thank God my guys are understanding because I know there have been a been a few times that I wouldn't want to be working for me.

Still, the cancer is almost certainly a result of 25 years of dipping Rope. I don't like to preach because I know how hard it is to quit. But I'd get off of it if you can. For your grand kids sake.

Thanks, sage advise, I may try this deer season!

larry you just said the words i fear the most. been at it since 6th grade..... ####. i don't think i have the testicular fortitude to quit.....

I don't think that every body needs to be certified at a company, however, it helps if there is at least one! I have done this professionally now for ten years, just now, received my CA. It did open doors, as the city's take me more serious and have been setting up consultations for me! Passing my name around very hard, I literally have enough work at this point that I do not need to sell any more jobs this year. That sounds good right! Well, it sucks when you look at the amount of money waiting on the table, calls still flying in, I cant help but think about how MUCH more I can handle.
GUYS, guys, That Jeo dude is pulling our leg, I refuse to think that there is actually someone that ignorant on here, that can do quotes and spell Stihl. Whoever u really are, its getting old!

Sorry to hear it MD, that is nasty stuff, the reason I got of the Corps in 99 was my boy had stage 3 Nueroblastoma at 2 years old, spent 2 years in the hospital with him, he made it, crazy little ...
anyways, take care and beat that crap.

Last edited:

I really hope I dont need cancer for a motivation and pray that never happens, My wife now has my kids asking me to stop dipping too. Thats a tough one to ignore.

So did the patches help MD?

I dont advertise anywhere, granny, iam 37, and my spelling sucks as bad as ur wife, but she does have nice lips, yes, self employed. loving the bad weather

Take it easy bro. We all work here, papers or not. Nobody likes an armchair arborist. Go ahead and fix yerself a drink, have a smoke and chill with the wife stuff.:cheers:

I have thought about it but I would have to take at least a two week vacation from my better half. I am not willing to put her through my withdraw!

I would need at least two weeks away also, but for her for me. I dont think I could take the withdrawals and her mouth at the same time.

Well, I probably shouldn't be posting at this point.. but I must say your hate is so attractive Bermie! Lol.

Ha, I didn't actually call him a loser...but I sure thought it!

I get about three or four of this type of call every summer.

The best one was the day release prison gang doing some work near the prison..."hey i need a jawb when i get out...hook me up willya, call my cousin at Parks where I used to work, for a reference..."

Are you KIDDING me!?

Latest posts

Back