climbers:how old are you and when do you plan on hanging up the spikes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by Nickrosis
I'm 22 and really feeling it from the years of climbing. Hopefully the whole working career and all the stress is over by the time I'm 30. I can't imagine having a full-time job after that.
:laugh:

Originally posted by MasterBlaster
I guess I shoulda tried to save this one, too... dunno where my head was... [/IMG]
MB ol' bud, every time the ? of whether to keep a tree comes up, you trot out a picture of a codom tearout obvious call. Doesn't your comfort zone extend to anything gray?

40 in June and still climbing!
Don't mind it but there are more important things in tree care.
When I find a young one who is willin to work and not complain about how hard this is or how little money they make maybe then I quit!
Maybe;)
Later
John

As much as I enjoy it, I'll be climbing a long time, The Good Lord willing.
Lifting weights is something I need to get back to, and maybe stopping the snacking after dinner

Some of the younger hotshot climbers just dont know how to hold a two-way conversation around my neck of the woods

41. I plan on climbing into my sixties and caring for trees 'till I die. Yes , I will have to change some of my emphases. But there is plenty to do.:)

Originally posted by Guy Meilleur
MB ol' bud, every time the ? of whether to keep a tree comes up, you trot out a picture of a codom tearout obvious call. Doesn't your comfort zone extend to anything gray?

Are you axing me if I TD healthy trees? Or, do I trim em? If so, the ans to both is yes. I do what I'm hired to do.

Wuz that gray?:dizzy:

If you're talking about a YP ad and cuttin out the middleman, you'll be in a position to help tree owners with management decisions. If you choose to, that's the gray area I'm talking about.

I gotcha. Sure, I will be in a better position to offer some advice to the client, which I'll do. I've never liked TD a tree that didn't really need it.

39 and still going strong,dont trust the young ones ,work better faster and more economically than ever,its the weather over here that slows us down not the work,

My wife tells me I have to keep working till I'm 70. Currently 54, have 4 grandchildren and I am better and faster now then I was at 40. On pruning I can usually blow away the 30 year old guys and make my tree look better because I hardly have to even think about where I am going to make my cuts. (That's where experience comes in.) I can look at the tree on the ground and already visualize the finished product. On removals my rigging is better and safer. Over here I notice most climbers do not like to do rigging. I try to tell them they can take bigger pieces and be safer if they would lower branches with ropes instead of cutting small and holding it by hand. Most don't listen, unless they are working for me. I always loved rigging, from the time I first started to climb.

I think age is a state of mind. I was climbing daily up to August of this year, when I hired another climber. Now I climb about 3 days a week, don't feel out of shape or slower at all. The way I feel right now, I figure I can climb very productively for another 5 years. After that my prices will have to rise exponentially to compensate for the drop in production. :D

Its not the years, its the miles. Im gonna be 32 next week, and my son Linden was born last weekend. Im figuring that when he turns 21 Im gonna turn the business over to him and spend LOTS of time in Alaska hunting, and in Mexico fishing.

I have titanium pins in my leg and my shoulders ache everyonce in a while, but I just suck it up and drive on. I figure I can hold out for another 21 years and then just run around doing bids for my boy.

Kenn:Monkey:

I'm gonna play with this baby, tomorrow. I bought a big arse roast!
Starvin.gif

Back