Climbers only, age poll.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How old are you?

• 0 to 18

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • 18 to 25

Votes: 21 17.2%
  • 25 to 35

Votes: 36 29.5%
  • 35 to 45

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • 45 to 55

Votes: 18 14.8%
  • 55 to 65

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • 65 to 75

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 75 and up

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I've been climbing one thing or another most of my life, but I'm just starting with tree care at age 46... might as well say 47. I'm not fast and 3 full days of steady climbing effort makes me pretty sore. I've got chronic tendonitus in my right elbow but I've had it since my early 20's... it just hurts more now. I'm eating more ibuprofen than I want but I'm pretty sure the pain will back off somewhat as my muscles re-shape themselves... My knees were achy at first but they're fine now, my back is still 100%, my shoulders always hurt after fairly long rope ascents... I did pretty soft work and got very little exercise for the last 5 years so I'm paying for that.

The fact is though, I love it. I mean, who woulda thought you could make a living climbing trees? It's a dream job! Climbing, especially creative climbing like in trees is just fun, period. I can't think of anything I'd rather do... with my clothes on that is.

I have no idea how long I'll last but I'm going to enjoy it while I can. I like being in decent physical shape and working outdoors again. I really like how treecare crosses the disciplines of horticulture and physics/mechanics. There are a lot of ways to approach tree care as a profession and they don't all require maximum effort, high speed, high production climbing. I think I can find a niche for my old butt.

Plus, my kids think it's cool that their Dad climbs trees all day.

Blinky said:
I have no idea how long I'll last but I'm going to enjoy it while I can. I like being in decent physical shape and working outdoors again. I really like how treecare crosses the disciplines of horticulture and physics/mechanics. There are a lot of ways to approach tree care as a profession and they don't all require maximum effort, high speed, high production climbing...QUOTE]

You hit the nail on the head Blinky!!! :rock:

I'm 44.
I've been climbing professionally for 4 years and work over 50 hrs per week.

Spent 15+ years prior behind a desk in a cubicle. This is a nice change, I'm in much better shape and now have more time & energy to play with my sons (8 & 3 yrs old). After attending the recent TCIA show, on the way home my 8 year old was asking questions about joining the industry someday . . . hmm, not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Xtra said:
After attending the recent TCIA show, on the way home my 8 year old was asking questions about joining the industry someday . . . hmm, not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

It's a great thing if you steer him in the right direction, teach him safety first. Life is the most valuable part of doing the job. Teach him young and when he comes into his prime he's gunna be a kick ass Safety First Demolition Climber :p

Back