Climbers $ per day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So John, are you covered under their workers comp? or you have your own?

It depends on the state. In some I can self insure using my medical plan. Here in WI the law recognises the relationship as "Employer-Employee" for W/C purposes. By having them cover my expenses, we can reduce my fees and their payroll expense.

You should read your plan to see if there is a sub contractor clause, or call your agent. I just worked for a guy in IL and his agent said I would not fall under his plan being a sub, same in IA.

Originally posted by Gopher

Another thought for you all; close to retiring tree guy who works for a cheap rate, just low enough to take good jobs from a few of us. I tell you what, these are killers.

Quite. The ones that crease me are those who ask advice (on forums like these) about how to climb, how to prune, etc., get a shed load of good advice from people with years of experience, and then go out and take on x no. of trees at, say, $10 /tree.

People like that don't last long, but there's enough new ones popping up every year to keep prices low.

You guys got me thinking with all this dialogue. I've been outside servicing my boss's saws for this week and thinking about what I get paid vs. what I bring to the table.
For $150 per day I provide myself (with transportation), my climbing gear, 2 saws, CDL license, mechanic services, sharpening services, crew supervision, all climbing, etc. etc. etc.

My boss has a guy with very little tree experience, but he is a hard worker and willing to learn. He can run a saw without hitting dirt too often, and is good at running the chipper. He has no transportation, so Don or I pick him up every morning. He gets $100 per day.

What is wrong with this picture? Should I tell Don I want $200 (or even $175) per day? Or should I be grateful that I have (relatively) steady work? If I leave, it seems like every company in town has druggies, unmaintained equipment, personnel shortages, etc. Idunno, I guess I'm feeling bummed cause I don't have any money in the bank and it seems like I should with all I have to offer and 14 years experience. :(

Gopher, I enjoyed and learned from your Post And I also Agree with you and sadly enough the Vast majority of Climbers I believe have substance problems But why is this because Who in there right mind wants to Climb a tree 60' in the air for 150.00 a day? except for those of us that enjoy it the Recycled drunks that bounce from tree co to Co do it because most companies cant find clean climbers because most individuals today would rather sit in an office for a living.
enough rambling.

Brian, I'd have to agree with you I'd gladly pay 150.00 a day for a climber to do the tree work, Supervise the Groundie and service my equipment. I'd at least ask for XX$ a hr to work on the equipment! :angry:

Brian? does he have you fetch lunch as well? :blob2:

Acer, You hit the nail on the Head and i had not even realized it. Theres probably no telling how many Loballers this site could have put into business! Think about it all that would be needed would be to read back thru all the past Posts theres more info in them than several books. One wouldnt even have to Register as an arboristsite Member. :eek:

Over the last 25 years I have seen a definite decline in the numbers of young people coming into this business. As a result tree companies in my area have climbers with limited abilities,so when they get a large removal rather than turning down the job they will hire a sub.That can run anywhere from 500 to 800 per day. And renting a crane is out of the equation when your rem oving everything through the house.

Brian, maybe it is time for you to negotiate a raise, or maybe a perjob bonus.

How many hours do you put in total per day? are you making only 15/hr or less?

Maybe charge separately for the maintinance work?

The only other solution is to start looking for other people to sub for. In truth if you only have one client, the subcontract is a sham to save "Your boss" money. National labor laws state that only management personel may be saleried, that is those that do something like 55% supervisory/managerial work. If you are a working forman/leadman then you must be paid an hourly wage with OT (everyone understand that abreviation;) )after 40 hours.

We also are forgetting another issue here; days when we physically can't work do to extreme cold, rainy or stromy conditions, or extreme heat.

We need to make enough money when we can work to cover the down time. There are many fields and positions that work nine to five, forty hours a week, making somewhere between 10 and fifteen dollars per hour that were every day regardless of the weather.

Do these people that work these jobs nedd to have the safety euipment we do? Do they work 50' up off the ground? Is there a home underneath a two-ton limb? Does their insurance for that job cost them a grand a year? I could go on and on. We are worth far more than fifteenpr hour. If we work for 8 hours, the minimum, and I mean minimum, should be $250. If you spend half the time in a tree, and half raking, chipping, etc., well, then it would be different. This is why I don't like the "per day" tag. We then don't get the rate we should when we are in the tree.

Take care all.

I can't believe that I didn't put my 2 cents in earlier on this great thread. Some really good points a raised here. It is nice to know I am not alone in what I am thinking.

Answer: Here in Austin contract guys get 15-18/hr w/their own equipment. Hired guns get 20-40/hr.

I charge $50 an hour reguardless of wether it is a widow maker removal, pruning job, or just picking up small storm damage from a yard. I don't charge on an hourly basis, I give bids with a $200 minimum. I think that is the way to go. Here is a nugget of info if you are listening FORREST.......bid jobs with 50/hr in mind. You will not always hit your target rate. Sometimes you will hit 100/hr and sometime 10/hr. Do not charge more for the ones that work out to be 10/hr. Your word is your word and that sting of losing your ass will keep you from making that mistake again. I went independent 2 years ago thinking that I would loball, take market share and then increase prices. It does not work that way. You will work yourself broke. If you are broke in a year then you are not proving a good service. Customers need to know you will be there in the future to take care of their needs. Most are willing to pay for that peace of mind. The ones that won't are not worth your time. Take the mindset of "I get paid to care for trees" educate yourself and charge accordingly. Not, "I get paid to climb trees." That leaves you in a commodity based position and not a quality and value based position. Offer a fair, quality service and remember, IT IS NOT A CRIME TO MAKE MONEY!!

I do not worry about the bottom feeders who rely on guerilla advertising and low balling jobs to stay in business. It is agrivating to see but hold the mindset of "those customers are not for me." Those guys will not be in business long but they will constantly be replaced by new bottom feeders.

I pay my hired gun $20/hr. He is an illegal from guatemala who grew up using a rope and home made saddle to make a living stealing parrots from 150+ feet trees in the jungle. He has a proven track record that lets me know he will not damage property or himself.

Very good points when referring to "integrity" and "honesty" in pricing. Once you have gained someone's respect and business, then perhaps future business may be an hourly rate to them. I have been able to do this on occasion, and I tell them up front I will be doing as much for them and their trees as in the past, and both parties agree to the hourly rate to be paid. These customers are great, they know how hard-working and honest I am, and then they can call and know about how much they will get done for "X" number of dollars.

I really like the $200 minimum amount for getting yourself out there, Treetx. That's a good idea. I haven't been working for a guy (tree service) for two weeks now because he was calling (usually about 10:30 PM) and expecting me to drop everything, drive thirtyfive miles, and trim one tree so he could be paid for the job. Finally, I said, "Unless you have more for the day, I won't be there." He hasn't called since, but that's alright. The relationship started well, but over the last number of weeks, he had me running all over for meager dollars, and that has to stop.

Thank you again everyone for the heartfelt (and often agonizing I'm sure) comments regarding pay and our field.

Gopher

by me a "good" climber could get between 300-500 cash. my usual rate it 300 but for one company its 400 a day, because i get stuck with there big stuff. they want me for more days but their crew sux. so i only give them a day a week. the extra 100 isn't worth the bs.

Yes, that's more like it! I realize there are cost of living differences across the country (and world), but spike_ hit the nail on the head, "the extra 100 isn't worth the bs."

I probably could've worked today for someone who would've wanted me to run here and there, but I decided against it. I'd rather spend time with my three young boys than run around all day and come home with a net of not much.

Have a good Friday arborists.

Gopher

Latest posts

Back