Climbers revisited

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I use straight gaffs on my pole climbers at work and I`m getting ready to purchase a set of tree climbers, probably offset but I`m wondering about the different gaffs, straight or bent (bird toe).
2 1/2 or 2 3/4"
What say ye all?

gaffs.jpg

Last edited:
I use the hooked gaffs like the pic on the right. Most climbers don't like them, but I find them easier to bite through thick bark (Yellow pine, live oak, etc.). I kicked out once on my first (hand-me-down) pair of gaffs, fell about 10 feet and my lanyard caught a 1/4" stub I had accidentally left. I hung up side down for about a minute, then finished the tree. The next day, I bought a new pair of gaffs, Kleins with the long hooked gaffs. Been using them ever since.

The straightt gaffs(left) are my choice. They are much more comfortable to stand in, because the are closer to your foot. The long spikes do have an advantage when working the trunk of a very thick barked tree though.
The short spikes are also nice because they don't stick out so far and get in your way, you're not always getting stuck in tight crotches and spiking you're ropes and pants.
I've never had a problem with gaffing out(although it happens often enough), because I use my ropes much the same way I do when climbing without spikes.

I have the wolf gaffs with adjustable spikes on them. I keep then as "short" aspossible.

If up where you are there is mostly thick barked pines, go with the longer ones. It sucks when you cant get into the zylem and chunks of bark come off as you step up.:eek:

Check out the "gecko's" in Sherrill's. I've heard theya re the lightest thing on the market, and very comfy.

Back