Climbing, How to Learn???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two lifelines= a line tied in for climbing..DRT DdRT SRT etc etc...AND a Lanyard or another of the **RT.

Tom Dunlap said:
SRT=single rope technique. The rope is anchored and doesn't move, the climber moves up and down on the rope.

DdRT=doubled rope technique. The traditional arbo way of climbing. The rope is "doubled" over an anchor point. One end terminates on the saddle and the other has a friction hitch/device to allow the climber to move up and down the rope. The rope moves and the climber moves.

DRT=double rope technique. A climbing system where two seperate ropes are used. A climber could use DRT and use either SRT or DdRT on either leg of the system.
You fail to mention DbRT, where, like SRT, the rope doesn't move. The two lines are parallel and the ends are on the ground. The crotch or limb experiences practically zero friction, just pressure. You ascend up the dual lines, you work off the dual lines. DbRT. A lot of practical advantages, but beyond the land of the friction hitch.

you guys are goona have him so confused with all this srt dbrt mtv tv .. come on down here bro we need fresh meat :blob5:

Different schools

No, it's simple.

DbRT old school
DdRT new school
SRT the entire world of climbing and aerial disciplines except Treeguys.

Supernoob, I do think you should enroll at Camp Darkstar, I mean, if you're really serious. Spiking the learning curve for sure. Better go do some gym time before you go down.

darkstar said:
you guys are goona have him so confused with all this srt dbrt mtv tv .. come on down here bro we need fresh meat :blob5:

:dizzy: 25 years in the biz and I'm freakin confused, leave the kid alone guys and let him learn some basics before you scare him off. :)

boil it down

Knowing what climbing options are out there is step one. Choosing one of them is step two. Don't be cornfuzed :p

No I'm not a troll, I actually did that stuff, and I'm kind of itching to get back in the trees. I got discouraged cause I saw this technique was dangerous and I didn't want to use the spikes on live trees, plus not being a pro had a bit of trouble paying that kind of coin for something I might use very occaisonally. The advanced, no spike rope climbing techniques some here use are cool. I'd love to learn.

They're not as advanced as you might think. Start with the easy, work up to the advanced. Either way gets you up and around a crown and down. If you make it more difficutlt in your mind than what it is, then it's difficult and you're apprehensive in approaching the stuff.

Keep it boiled down to the least common denominator. You are controlling friction, either working with it, or overcoming it entirely. There's just a number (3) of rope methods that offer different ways of dominating and precisely controlling friction. That's all it is, passing your rope through SOMETHING to control your vertical movement.

SRT in treework is a growing genre. More and more people are looking at the advantages for ascent always and working sometimes.

Whenever I have a new variation on my SRT setup it gets worked over with both feet on the ground first. After some trials I go up in the tree and make sure that I tie backup knots in my climbing line.

Using SRT to ascend should be a basic skill. There are SOOOO many advantages over any other access technique. If the climbers that poo-poo SRT were taught SRT and not traditional access techniques back in the day, they would be able to see the advantages I'm sure. When I've taught new climbers tree access they will always, on their own, choose SRT over any other technique.

Hmm,,,,,, tom,, my best climber chooses srt, but im way faster on take downs on big canopies over houses no bucket or crane ,,,,,,, than him ... i like srt ... but im faster with double ropes any day ...ps maybe i feel,, more falsely ,,, at ease DARK

Hey, this isn't tree climbing, but hey....check out darkstar hanging it out on this wicked roof..incredibly difficult is how it looks, at 5.13d, it's 4-5 points down from the current hardest rated climbs....well, unless a 5.15 a or b has been done.

Dark, how steep is the wall where the bolt is? I'm guessing 75-85 degrees? I'm trying to figure your next moves to reach it and clip in...

Rb tree we all know that aint ???? to a hard rotten tree over a house now with no truck acess but ,it is SRT in a way [donk] .... how many of yall hand jam tree crotches ... that s somthing this new fellow needs to learn ... so bring it on down ..Dark

darkstar said:
Rb tree we all know that aint ???? to a hard rotten tree over a house now with no truck acess but ,it is SRT in a way [donk] .... how many of yall hand jam tree crotches ... that s somthing this new fellow needs to learn ... so bring it on down ..Dark

Ahh, but you're modest.

Yurp, guilty as charged...any time I see some jam opp's, I just gotta use 'em....

now if we break out a full rack o hexes and cams.....hmmmmm

thats funny as heck .. yo that crazy hackberry i took don recently was freaky ... i but a thro line in it and use a ladder to acess the trunk wherby i hand jammed up the crack that was the split in the wind damaged tree . i then installed a 20,000 test line and pulled the tree together with a 4 ton come along and a pulley ... left the tree sitting for one week and came back to do the take down . when i got to the crack where i had hand jammed i could now stick my whole leg in it . not good huh . it was cracking to the side about ready to twist off . i got it down but my groundies said my knees were knocking they are still teasing me about that . hand jams are good in trees hey ? dark

Latest posts

Back