Climbing line/Lanyard lengths

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What are your different Length Climbing lines? I'd consider it a lanyard at less than 35'. Ive got a couple 150's a 100' and a 50' Wanna guess where the latter 2 came from? :eek:

I use 30', 60', 120' and 150'. The 30 and 60 are for trim jobs so I don't have to drag a lot of rope around in the top as i move around. The 120 is for the average tree here in SC. The 150 is for the occasional tall ones. ;)

I bought the 150's with the Idea to cut 30' off to make lanyards but Just left them that long. :D

I got a bunch of 120s and had a 240 which mostly stayed in the tupperware. It was real nice when needed however. Then the tupperware fell off the truck along with two saddles, lanyards etc..OUCH
So I split a 600' reel of safety blue with a friend. I cut mine 180/120. I still miss that extra 60' from time to time. Never had to give a second thought if the rope was long enough.
What do you guys do with ropes that are being retired?
God Bless All,
Daniel

Originally posted by murphy4trees
What do you guys do with ropes that are being retired?
God Bless All,
Daniel

Usually I retire a lifeline when it gets too dirty and I wanna new one. :D My 'old' lifeline becomes a handline. If a rope gets nicked, and one of the twelve strands is severed, it gets cut and the ends melted. If it is still long enough, it's a handline. If not, it gets used for a tiedown line.
If a rope is burned, stretched too hard, gets stiff spots in it, etc., it is either a tiedown line or garbage. Garbage ropes get cut up and tossed in the dumpster.

Garbage Ropes still make good boat ropes. As long as the anchor isnt to heavy :D

Lifeline length: I use a 75' for 90% of my climbing. Less rope getting drug toward the chipper by unaware groundmen. A lot of times I have to retie to reach the ground, but I think it is a good tradeoff. I have a 120' for tall trees with few forks (pine trees). Very few around here are more than 60' to the first fork, so I always can reach the ground. Trimming spread-out live oaks, having a shorter rope is easier for me. Less to drag around working different leads. I'd like to have several, in 50' increments (50', 100', 150') but that will come in time. Untill then, I use what I got!

Originally posted by treeclimber165
Lifeline length: I use a 75' for 90% of my climbing. Less rope getting drug toward the chipper by unaware groundmen.

:eek: I never thought of that! I bet the Chuck-N-Duck would really eat up some Rope!

Originally posted by treeclimber165
Lifeline length: I use a 75' for 90% of my climbing. Less rope getting drug toward the chipper by unaware groundmen.

As I arrived at the current jobsite after making a bid elswhere, I saw the climber with about 15' of climb line hanging below him. When I looked in the back of the chip truck and seen all the blue and white fuzz I didn't have to ask what happend. :eek:

20' lanyard all the time, 50', 120', 120'. Rarely do I need more than 120. The few times I have, I ended up using my 200' 1/2 double braid lowering rope.
Greg

Latest posts

Back