Clutch Removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushwackr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Do you think it would work if I held the flywheel and tried an electric impact to remove the clutch assembly. Its left hand thread right? Oh ya its on a 046

An impact gun will work fine, but be gentle. Have the impact on its lowest setting. If you go in with it "turned up to 11", then there is a chance you will break something.

Some will say the risk is higher using an impact gun, but you can bust up the ports with the rope trick, and you can bust up the piston with a stop.

Yes, the clutch thread is "backwards".

ok so easy with the impact and just use the engines compression to hold it , Thats why I was thinking hold flywheel, so I didnt have to put anything in the cylinder.

yes it will work....i leave my air impact set at it highest power and the compressor set at 160psi. leave the plug in and let the engine compression give the resistance. i would rather give it one hit and break it loose....yes, the threads are left handed; righty loosey, lefty tighty!!!

Ok I will give it a try, maybe some of that nice sticky bar oil that soaked the clutch will make it easier :msp_tongue:

And the term "hold the flywheel" screams damaged fingers to me. I'm sure you where going to hold it with something else though.

I dont know how else im goin to hold a plastic flywheel, Ive done this kinda stuff for years, and I still have all my fingers :laugh:. Seriously tho, if you get on the wrench and full throttle it, then I wouldnt have my hands near it. I ve held them on other little engines in the past grab a towel wrap around fins and grab on tight. Short bursts with wrench, you feel if its slipping or goin to .

Just bump it with an impact, engine compression will hold it. They come off easily. I have been using an impact for 30 years, and not a single problem, but I don't use it like I am torquing a wheel stud either. Be easy and it will work fine. Main thing to remember is the left hand thread.

My dealer uses an impact. With 1 or 2 short bursts he has the clutch off. And here I sit with my piston stop and red face trying to wrench the clutch off!:laugh:

My dealer uses an impact. With 1 or 2 short bursts he has the clutch off. And here I sit with my piston stop and red face trying to wrench the clutch off!:laugh:

sounds just like what I was going to do:msp_biggrin: but then I was reading an thread that the piston stop breaks piston tops now and again

I have sheared a flywheel key or two with an impact. I still use them, but if I use an impact on the clutch, I remove the flywheel first. It only takes an extra two minutes with the proper tooling. Some folks have never had a problem, but I just do it to be safe. Replacing a flywheel on someone else's saw almost always makes the profit margin zero. Good thing is that "keyless" flywheels are excellent for modding.

If the assy is on a small saw it may not need much of a thump to get it to come loose. About 4 raps on this one. No Rope ~ No Stop ~ just compression

poulan2075clutchsprocket0071.jpg

removeclutch1.jpg

Last edited:
perfect way to break a clutch spider.

One must be careful alright. This saw is 13yrs old. Never had the clutch removed before. If it doesn't come off easily, one can always resort to the other methods....:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

I was a great believer in the sharp rap with a punch method until I broke three 372 clutches in a row!

Cheaper by far to buy the tool or sacrifice a socket.

I was a great believer in the sharp rap with a punch method until I broke three 372 clutches in a row!

Cheaper by far to buy the tool or sacrifice a socket.

Reminds me of the old farmer I watched taking a carburetor off his 8N Ford tractor with a ball pean hammer. Boy; was he mad !:laugh:
:laugh:

Latest posts

Back