Codominate Removal Technique

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not seein it, 3-4 hr climb tops. Got plenty of room to just swing everything over the fence.

Totally agree. Half day job tops. This is not a risky tree. The leaner weighs 10 thousand pounds. Do you really think a 200 lb climber working that girl is going to make a difference? May i suggest you study such a tree on a windy day? Do you have any idea how much more force that wind generates than a climber? That tree is very strong assuming it is not rotten inside. how much does a tick weigh to a dog?

this is a simple job. set main anchors in the vertical leader, then rope down the leaner over the fence. leave the vertical leader, this tree is fine for many years to come. $1000

Looks like it would be about the same to repair the house as it would to safely remove the leader. Just don't let anything fall on that spiffy Marlboro back pack.

There have been people who died trying to save up enough miles to get one of those.

Last edited:
I am obviously not a (seasoned) climber, but I see tying the two stems together and then reducing the leaning stem to be a simple option. Tie only to the dominant stem, within the first 10 minutes and 3 decent drops your going to reduce stress by way more than 1/2 if you focus on the farthest leaning limbs.

Both my regular climbers would be through this tree in 1.5 hours per side including the pre rig.

I would consider cleaning up the leaning side and dropping most of that bad boy with a rope to control lz.

But I don't know anything just do a lot of thinking.

B, sounds to me like you are pretty sharp.

Assuming I checked out what was going on at the base and didn't find nothing that scared me, I would climb the leaner first, going up high taking off weight and get progressively heavier. Tying off several small limbs at a time using slings clipped to a lowering line in the straight tree. You could go pretty fast and remove a lot of brush with out shock loading either tree much. Each cut would make the tree safer.
If I couldn't just chunk those trunk pieces down, I'd tie a line in the leaner with a running bowline and have the other end go through a pulley in the other tree then down to a lowering device. Then using a deadend sling with a clavis I would catch those trunk pieces hooking the clavis between the two trees so both sides would share the load and the tied off piece would come down the middle of the rope. Then slide down the bowline and do it again. But then again after being in the tree I might do it a different way all together, depending on how things were reacting...
Main thing get some weight off the leaner, and you could do what you wanted so long as you didn't get crazy. I'm slow as hell and I'm pretty sure I could safely have em both down in 4 or 5 hours. Maybe less.

to be honest, I would remove some limbs yard side and bomb those tops in the woods. put a block in the straight stem and rig the leaner down. drop the straight stem in the yard. from the time I left the ground til it was all down would be a couple hours.

yes, a climber is nothing to a tree like that. if it breaks from you climbing it, it was fate.

and this whole thread is bullsh*t anyway. the OP just wants to play arborist from his laptop via google earth.

At that rate, Miko, what should be a day long take down would be several days.
If the subject tree is on a small property, as many homes are in the northeast, a tree will have to be pieced down to save damage to property. On my way to TCIA in 2010 in Pittsburgh, on Amtrak, I noticed how small the yards are.

Back