Cold Starting Deutz Diesel Carlton 8018 TRX

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oly's Stump

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Man is it hard to start when it gets near 20 degrees. I was told by a mechanic that starting fluid (ether) is bad for these newer diesels. He said to try WD40. Never tried it yet but wondering if you guys have any other tips to getting them started in the cold. As you know they don't come with any plug in heaters.

I have a deutz in my big trencher, I feel your pain. I personally don't spray my diesels, what I do is point a torpedo heater at the block for about ten minutes or so and throw the booster on the battery when I'm ready to crank. I also switched to synthetic blend oil and I swear it helps.

WD 40 does help, and is not harmfull like starting fluid. You could also try leaving a heat lamp on, just under the oil pan. Then, start the machine before leaving your shop and let it idle and warm up before going out to the jobsite. My 7015TRX takes a lot of cranking at temps below 45 degrees. I just shut down and will not grind stumps in below 40 degree weather. Of sourse, we do not get a lot of really cold days down here, so that probably is not an option for you.
jeff

I have run into that issue on a Vermeer stump grinder with a deutz engine. When the machine was new it did not have a preheat function installed, but had the preheat element in the intake manifold. Does your engine have glow plugs or a heating element in the intake manifold. If it does not I am sure you could add a pre heat system for your engine.

they make aftermarket block heaters and dipstick heaters. I have one for my 7015 that goes in the dipstick. I put it in there overnight on really cold nights if Im going out the next morning to grind. It fires right up no problem

Deutz are great engines but with a little age on them ,cold weather makes it hard to start. I used to have a small New Holland skid steer with a small 2 cyl Deutz on it. Ran like a champ but drove me nuts changing the starter and batteries from trying to crank it. Ran a Girraff for awhile with a bigger Deutz, same problem. I have a Carlton 4400-4 with a Deutz and never had/have to jump it but it is a pretty low hour engine.

I got my private pilots license not long ago and have been looking at buying a plane. Looking at one that can can land short and take off short (STOL) (short take off- landing). I found this while researching the type of engine that is in most of the planes I have looket at. Heres a video to take a look at. Its a long video but pretty interesting so you get a better i dea of what goes on with a cold and in some cases worn engines. There might be better ways of pre-heating on the job site, maybe a propane heater of some kind? 110 volt plug in near by, maybe a space heater. Guess it depends on the situation. Good luck with it as I know it is a pain sometimes.

Product Review - Tanis Engine PreHeat for Rotax Engine - YouTube

Back