cold weather 385's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike385

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hey everybody,
I have been using my 385 for felling and now that it has gotten colder, this thing is a pain in the a@#. It wants to freeze up and not idle. I have had 394's, 288's, 372's and none of them really had a problem. That was unless it was just the right temp. and humid. for mayhem. I really don't think a winter kit is needed for 40 deg. F. Anyone else run into this?
mike

Even at 40*,if you got humidity,even fog,carb can freeze.I suppose you dont have heated carb on yours.Im not sure at this temp its safe to use a winter kit,the engine could become hot and seize.Maybe you could block at least the air injection system to get less cold air from the flywheel going to the carb.

HiOctane,
This is the first saw that I had this problem with, all the other ones never did this unless it was colder or blowing powdery snow.
mike

mike385 said:
HiOctane,
This is the first saw that I had this problem with, all the other ones never did this unless it was colder or blowing powdery snow.
mike
The reason is the 385 got a rubber intake on it.With this rubber ,the carb "feels" a lot less heat from the engine,thats why the carb is easier to freeze compared to the others saws you metionned in the post.Those other ones are running a plastic flange between carb and cylinder transfering much more heat to the carb.With the rubber on 385,this saw is less prone to vapor lock during hot days compared to your other saws tho.

I've run my 385xp while milling in the 40degree temps with no problem, actually in the 30's too.

how long are you idling though? Mine runs great, but doesn't want to idle when it is cold. I don't notice any difference in performance.

Do you have the little hole with a flap that you can open in the plastic case that sits over the carb and the cylinder, like on the 346xp. I've opened that up when using the 346 on cold days here, it allows the hot air from the cylinder cooling fins to flow into the carb compartment.

mike385 said:
how long are you idling though? Mine runs great, but doesn't want to idle when it is cold. I don't notice any difference in performance.

I'm sure I've let it idle(maybe 3-5 minutes,not exact) as I would move a slab off and prepare for another cut. So far I've not had any trouble. I'll make it a point to run it on a cold morning to see if I get a similar reaction to yours. In fact, tomorrow here is supposed to be in the 30's and I intend to cut some Pecan. I'll post back Sunday night.

Never had a problem with my 385 been cutting with that saw for 3 years now , all seasons all year long .. Just used it today to limb up some over size oak , and cut 35mbf of Red Oak oversize on a ridge of a mountain last week with it , knee deep snow low 20* weather not a problem ..

Rob

Like I said, this is the first saw that I have a problem with. I never had one freeze, unless it was just the right circumstances.

Have you tried just tweeking up the adjustments on the carb? It could be nothing more than a need to adjust the L mix and T setting.

Latest posts

Back