Huskee/Speeco 22T won't start in the cold (even mild cold)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well they just called...... guy says its fixed come get it. I asked what was wrong and he said he replaced the plug and it starts up everytime now.
I dont get it... the plug was getting a huge bright blue spark when i tested it. And it would fire up for 1-2 seconds then stall out. how is a new plug fixing this??? ill be testing it later tonight and ill let you guys know how it starts after a cold trailer ride home.

Did you try a new plug

..before you took it to the dealer? Firing under compression and firing in the atmosphere is two different events.... coulda been a faulty plug to begin with.
Buy known good plugs and you will be good to go. I've always used Champion plugs in small engines with no problems.
Hope that is all that is was. I can just hear the techs at the shop talking about how ......:taped: :msp_biggrin:

aaronmach1,

That was my experience with fixing my friends.
Just a crappy factory plug replaced and it started on quite a cool day on first pull with 3 prime pumps.

I just converted his to an EZ start plug because i know i hate pulling on ropes more than needed and figured he would be the same:)

IMO this splitter engine line has 4 things to keep a check on when it's difficult to start.
#1 the plug.
#2 etanol mixed gasoline when it's cold outside.
#3 clogged fuel filter.
#4 design of choke or lack of it will probably limit this engine to starting no lower than -0 F, each degree closer to that and it will be a bit more difficult to start.

Many pulls to start and it's probably the plug.
Many pulls to start and it's cold but runs and starts ok in the warm and it's probably ethanol/gas fuel.
Starts and runs for a few seconds then dies it's probably a clogy fuel filter.

If your lucky you don't get all three at once LOL

Last edited:
kmcinms,

I've had nothing but trouble with Champion plugs in small equiptment.
The EZ start line are wonderful plugs from Champion but other standard Champion plugs were always touble in all my small engines.

I stopped buying standard replacement champion plugs a few years ago but it sounds like i did myself a service :)

Two things here

1. Standard Champion plugs generate a ton of work for repair shops. They used to be good plugs, they've been total CRAP for years now though. When I worked at a local bike shop, anything that came in for a no start or running problems with a Champion plug in it, **** canned the Champion, installed a new NGK plug, you would be AMAZED how often that took care of the problem!

2. I'd never use ether (starting fluid) on a gasoline engine that I cared to keep around. It's extremely hard on them, especially a single cylinder engine! I have seen heads blown clean off B&S before, also spark plugs blown clean out of the head. It washes the oil off the cylinder walls and oil out of an oiled foam air filter too. Heck I won't even use ether but sparingly on a diesel!

Oh, and if it's a resistor type plug, they can seemingly have a mind of their own! Work sometimes, sometimes, NOT!

Last edited:
I dont get it... the plug was getting a huge bright blue spark when i tested it. And it would fire up for 1-2 seconds then stall out. how is a new plug fixing this???

Not sure why, but for some reason I was under the impression you had already tried a new plug???

It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if a new plug makes a huge improvement… I’ll go back to something I posted earlier in this thread, “A new plug can never hurt and often will fix problems seemingly not related.” And also, from kmcinms, “Firing under compression and firing in the atmosphere is two different events.

Grounding the plug and watching for spark is not “testing” the plug, it’s testing the coil’s ability to make spark… you can do the same thing by holding the plug wire end while cranking the engine, but that can be a bit uncomfortable. Sure, if the plug has gone permanent “open” (like an internal break) there won’t be any spark, but just because there is spark doesn’t mean the plug is “good”. There’s a lot of different ways a plug can fail… compressed air/fuel and heat add a bunch of stress on the plug, which will cause problems not seen in open atmosphere. For example, firing the cylinder just a handful of times can raise the plug’s internal temperature enough to cause the center electrode to go high resistance/open, or cause an unseen hairline crack in the insulator to allow shorting. A classic example of a bad plug is when the engine will start just fine cold, and run just fine, but won’t restart when hot (although other things can cause this also); the plug’s resistance is increasing with heat and shutting the engine down causes it to sink even more heat from the cylinder head… end result is a plug that can’t make enough spark to fire the engine until it cools off, which lowers resistance. An atmosphere of compressed air/fuel increases resistance between the plug’s air-gap… a plug that makes good spark in open atmosphere may make weak spark in the cylinder, or no spark at all. Adding more fuel increases resistance… have you ever had a car that would idle perfectly, but start missing under load?? Most often that will be traced down to a plug or plug wire with high resistance (higher than specified tolerances)… or a hairline crack in the insulator of either, causing a short as air-gap resistance increases in the cylinder.

I keep at least one new spare plug for every engine I own (quick count… 13); whenever I have any sort of problem (even seemingly unrelated) the first thing I try is a new plug (heck, they’re cheap). I would have to say, best guess, at least 2/3’s of the time a new plug “fixes” it. Besides, ain’t nothin’ that will pizz-you-off more than screwing around with a small engine for hours, or even days, when five bucks and sixty seconds to replace the plug “fixes” it… yeah, been-there-done-that!

I use NGK spark plugs (shrug)....

Whitespider,

Got to love those days you semi dissasemble a piece of equiptment and last thing you do is look at the plug 3hrs later to discover it was rough looking.

I've done that a few times and learnt to change plug as step #1 now even if i think it's something else, like you say they are cheap and lots less work than 3hrs of playing small engine detective :)

8.5 out of 10 times it was the plug.
1 out of 10 fuel filter of gummed carb.
.5 detective time.

Last edited:
kmcinms,

I've had nothing but trouble with Champion plugs in small equiptment.
The EZ start line are wonderful plugs from Champion but other standard Champion plugs were always touble in all my small engines.

I stopped buying standard replacement champion plugs a few years ago but it sounds like i did myself a service :)

Two things here

1. Standard Champion plugs generate a ton of work for repair shops. They used to be good plugs, they've been total CRAP for years now though. When I worked at a local bike shop, anything that came in for a no start or running problems with a Champion plug in it, **** canned the Champion, installed a new NGK plug, you would be AMAZED how often that took care of the problem!

2. I'd never use ether (starting fluid) on a gasoline engine that I cared to keep around. It's extremely hard on them, especially a single cylinder engine! I have seen heads blown clean off B&S before, also spark plugs blown clean out of the head. It washes the oil off the cylinder walls and oil out of an oiled foam air filter too. Heck I won't even use ether but sparingly on a diesel!

Oh, and if it's a resistor type plug, they can seemingly have a mind of their own! Work sometimes, sometimes, NOT!

Lol. I wouldn't doubt a word about new Champions being junk now days. That line should have read , "in the past" I've had good service out of Champion plugs. I haven't bought a new plug for any of my lawn engines in decades. :laugh:

My '92 Husky 36 still has the original Champion in it. Starts just like it did when new and still runs strong. Same with my '95 51, original Champion plug. I know, doesn't seem right, right? :msp_confused:

On a different note, all my bikes get NGK plugs. I swear by NGK in my fourwheeler, dirt bikes and streetbikes. Not to say they don't have the same problems as any other plug, but just not as often.

Classic example of a bad plug like Whitespider described, was in one of my best running engines of all time, the Honda TRX 300 four wheeler. If anyone here has ever owned one, they know that if you breath on the starter button it fires up. So when it started acting up and not starting, the first thing I did was check the spark at the plug. Pulled the plug out and it fired strong. Re install, no love. New plug, fires right up. NGK plugs both times. No telling how many hours on the plug before this happens. I've gone through several since it first happened, my 300 is an '88, but a new plug always cures the problem.

Yup, I've had all my stuff a long time, I don't get rid of equipment that works, just the junk that doesn't cut the mustard. I still cut grass with my 1972 21" Whirlwind deck Toro mower that I bought as a one year trade in. I worked in a lawn equipment shop for a friend of the family after school and during the summer. Customer traded in his year old side bag Toro for the "new model" rear bagger. My boss sold me the mower for $75. I was 13 when I bought it :laugh:. It doesn't have the original plug in it. :hmm3grin2orange:

went to pick my splitter up 2 hours ago. Got there and seen it had sat outside all day yesterday and then all night last night in 1 degree temps. Today it was 18 degrees when i picked it up. i decided to try to start it there. First pull fires up and stalls from being so cold. again fires and stalls and again. then fires and runs perfect. Couldnt belive it fired everytime then ran perfect. Brought it home It fired up and ran first pull after the cold trailer ride and split for an hour. The guy said briggs and stratton has been having issues with the champion plugs. So it runs awesome now. All they did was put a new champion plug in it. LOL lesson learned for me!

Congratulations on having your splitter back and running:clap:
They're great machines once the kinks are worked out. I've run some pretty nasty black locust through mine without a hiccup.
I did put a fuel shutoff on mine. Makes it easier to run it dry when its not going to be used for a while, and I've found it helps in starting after towing especially if its bouncing across the yard or through the woods. Gently bouncing mind you:msp_rolleyes:

kmcinms,

I use ngk in a few pieces of equiptment also.
Always been good plugs, do they have a line of EZ start or EZ ignition plugs?

Yeah champion plugs really went downhill a couple years ago, well atleast for me.
They had short lifes to the plugs that came with equiptment and not much better from store bought.
I gave up trying them after it became clear i was always changing champion plugs only i was buying.

aaronmach1,

Glad it was a simple fix and your back to work splitting away even in the cold.
Guess you lost any hope for an equiptment failure excuse for drinking now.
Well you could always just take the wire off get a case of beer and just ##### enough so the wife hears you. LOL

Glad it is working for you and it looks like woody was right. (DONT LET YOUR HEAD SWELL) ha ha:msp_biggrin:

stihl023/5,

Law of averages was with me.
Being wrong for so long the odds just went my way once.
Thats what the wife would say :)

Did they suggest a certain amount of push's on the primer bulb or any tips at all on starting them .

Latest posts

Back