Colour coding old rope?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 150' white pull rope - now grey - and I want to cut it into smaller ropes but make them "different colours" for easy ID when working. And my climber also has a similar dirty white rope we use sometimes for tying things off.

Spray paint every few feet? I don't know.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

Are you talking about your old 9/16 rope? If you're planning to use it as a tag and want different colors to aid in identification then avoid spray paint. Get yourself some dye from a fabric shop in as many colors as you need. Apply it triple strength, it won't be as bright as you think and it fades with UV exposure just like the dye the rope manufacturers use. That rope is beyond use for load bearing.

Shaun

Huh? You want to cut a rope, and dye it some other color?

Yeah, my old pull rope, it's still got a few good shorter pieces in it and my climber and I refer to our ropes by colour.

He yells "send me the blue" or "tie off the white"" (in French of course). Makes for short clear conversation. A good thing when the other party is sixty-feet up a tree. :)

Yeah, my old pull rope, it's still got a few good shorter pieces in it and my climber and I refer to our ropes by colour.

He yells "send me the blue" or "tie off the white"" (in French of course). Makes for short clear conversation. A good thing when the other party is sixty-feet up a tree. :)

Yup when the other party is up the tree it is a good thing.

Are you talking about your old 9/16 rope? If you're planning to use it as a tag and want different colors to aid in identification then avoid spray paint. Get yourself some dye from a fabric shop in as many colors as you need. Apply it triple strength, it won't be as bright as you think and it fades with UV exposure just like the dye the rope manufacturers use. That rope is beyond use for load bearing.

Shaun

Thanks. :)

Yeah, the last few times I used that rope I felt a pretty sketchy about it. We'll use it to pull or tie off light loads, but nothing more than that.

Back