Comparing - Stilh vs. Husky - Score is 1 to 1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M.D. Vaden

vadenphotography.com
Reaction score
I bought a Stihl MS390, and a Husqvarna 385XP.

Size is not the issue. I want to see what I think of the two. People brag for both brands.

My arborist friend always used Husky, so that's what I started with, and used for most of 15 years.

At Columbia Edgewater Country Club in Portland in 1985, I was exposed to a full inventory of Stihl, but didn't think much about brands then.

Last year, my the Choke lever pulled out of my new 385XP on the first use, causing great difficulty. I was ready to spit nails.

Score one for Stihl.

A few weeks ago, the handle on my Stihl broke at the back at the lower part of the curve. That sucked. It did not drop, was not forced, recieved no impact - about 8 hours of use.

Score one for Husky.

I like the big fill caps, for size, on the Stihl.

The caps seat easier on the Husky.

Hey M.D. just wanted to say Hello. I live in Banks and work right next to Sunset High School, so we are neighbors.

Regards,

Rob

You are comparing a piece of crap Stihl to a Pro model Husky. Not a fair fight. PS the choke levers on all Husky's are crap. Not a surprise it broke. You wont have many more problems than that. 10 years from now when the 385 is still cooking and the Stihl is anchoring a Dinghy in the lake you will see

Hello Rob neighbor person.

We almost moved out to Banks lately, or Timber Junction, or North Plains.

We held off since Beaverton is highly convenient for business, and we have fine tuned our home and yard for 3 solid years, so its time to enjoy it.

But we still drive West about once a week.

If you want a true test of Stihl vs. Husky use the 020t and 335xpt. When I have to use a 335xpt the ground crew are more worried about being hit by the saw than limbs and wood. :laugh:

I cut my teeth on huskys, but since they went to the springs for vibration iouit em., good saws smooth cause of the springs, but one time prying a little thats all it takes , don't have that problem with stihls love em.

Everyone raves about the springs, but I agree with you logcutter. I had one husky that the handle set straight but the power plant set cock-eyed because the spring mounts were sprung, and you can't really compare the two mentioned models because one is a pro and one is a consumer. Although contrary to many huskys lovers Stihl makes a good durable saw weather it is pro or consumer, I have owned both of various models and have never had a problem out of any of them, and yes I used them quite extensivly and abused a few and they still performed.;)

Suppose I could try different models, since some are pro and some not, like my MS390.

But to keep it simple, I hold companies accountable for putting their name on the saw.

If they put "Stihl" on it, its a Stihl. If they stamp "Husky" on it, its a Husky.

I cut no slack to the companies for slipping another model in to try.

It may not be fair to expect the same life expectancy out of every model, but I do expect the same quality out of every model.

That's how we prune trees. If we prune a 10' Japanese Maple, we put the same technology and quality into that project as when we prune a 60' Tri-color Beech. And the same quality on residential work as commercial.

So I hold manufacturers accountable to maintain good design and quality on every model.

M.D.(Mad Dog),
Do you do the same trim job if one is discribed as,"Remove one large dead lower limb, $50" and the other job is, "Complete crown cleaning, remove all dead wood up to 1/2 inch, $800"?

Saws work the same way, some cheapos, some goodies. I won't get involved in a Ford/Chevy type arguement other than to say Stihl is hands down the best saw and Huskys totally suck.

M.D.

As mentioned many times before you are comparing two saws that should not be compared in quality, power, weight, and most of all durability. Since that has been pointed out earlier I will leave it at that. Now you say it does not matter if they put there name on it they should expect all of their products to be the same in quality standards. I am sorry but I totally disagree. A good company can produce products of various quality levels and still produce an excellent product. Lets take for example car companies. Ford produces an excellent truck in the Ranger model. I have two that have made it to 140,000 miles with little problems and still running strong. Chevy has made the Corvette since the late 50's. Although I have never owned one I have never seen one make it to 140,000 miles without major problems. Now am I saying the vette is not a high quality car ? H''ll no it is a great car when it is used for it's intened purpose. (a chick magnet):blob2: The vette is a quality machine it is just not built to the smae standards as the Ranger they are totally different vehicles. The 39 and 385 are also. Just like the Ranger and the Vette they are quality items when used for their intended purpose.

Just my random observations, (OPEN TO ARGUEMENT)

Bill

Latest posts

Back