Comparison of Carlton 4012 grinders: 35hp gas vs 44hp diesel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mowingman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
In another posting, I talked about selling my 2012 Carlton 4012 diesel, and later purchasing an almost identical 2012 Carlton 4012 big block gas model. The two machines had almost the same hours, and same Carlton wheel/teeth. The first machine was a remote control with the 44hp Kubota diesel. The current machine is a lever control with the 35hp Briggs Vanguard big block gas engine.
Now that I have had some time to get used to the lever control again,
here are my observations on how this 4012 big block 35hp Vanguard, lever control, compares to my recently sold 4012, 44hp Kubota diesel, remote control. This first job involved a 48" diameter Live Oak stump, with major root extensions.
1. Torque and HP on the gas engine were both less, and somewhat noticible. The lower ratings of this gas machine made a slight difference in grinding time, but not enough difference to be annoying. I completed the job in 1.5 hrs . I think the lesser HP will be much more of an issue if I let the teeth get too worn. The diesel machine could power through a tough stump, even with dull teeth.
2. I believe this machine used about 1/4 - 1/3 more fuel than the diesel engine would have used, based on my previous diesel ownership.
3. The lever control was hard to get used to again. I really MISSED the remote control. I have to relearn how to grind standing back around the side of the machine and with a poor view of the cutting area of the wheel. I really missed the remote when I had to squeeze the machine through a 48" wide fence opening while trying to reach the travel lever.
That about sums it up during my "breakin" time with the machine
Now that I have a good number of jobs under my belt, I still have pretty much the same opinions.
All in all, I am very happy with this lower HP , lever-control machine. I only plan on doing one or two stumps/week in my semi-retirement. It has plenty power to do that work efficiently. I have gotten used to the lever controls, and that has helped me cut down grinding time. This was a good machine choice for me, as it will still handle any size stump quickly, and I only have half as much invested in it.
I think, that for most buyers, the gas engine is a fine choice, at a huge cost savings. If you plan to put under 500 hours/year on the machine, then the gas would likely be a good choice. Over 500hrs/yr, I would recommend the diesel, for longer engine life. As for the wireless, well you will just have to decide if it is worth it for you. It was for me when I did lots of stumps. now, I don't really miss it.
Either way, the Carlton 4012 is a heck of a nice machine.
Jeff

Did anyone notice Carlton stopped offering either Kubota diesel on the 4012? Model has changed to 5014 also. I have a 33hp Kubota 4012 with remote. Its nice to hear that if I ever need to replace it, the gas engine will be decent.

I believe Carlton has run into the same problem with Kubota, that a lot of the zero turn mower manufacturers have. Many of the Kubota engines will not meet the Tier 4 emissions regulations. Thus, many models of Kubota engines can no longer be used. Last year, Grasshopper had to stop using the 29hp and larger, Kubota diesels in their mowers.

The SP4012 is being phased out and being replaced by the new SP5014, available with the 44hp Kubota V1505TB. Basically the same machine, it's just been slightly reworked to get more sweep and depth. We will be posting a review of the SP5014 soon.

The V1505TB is Tier 4 interim compliant. It does not have SCR, so no DEF is required. It does not have any catalyst after-treatment. It has Kubota's Three Vortex Combustion system which reduces the particulate matter coming out the exhaust.

It seems strange that Carlton would remove all mention of an available Kubota engine from their website and current literature on the website for the 5014.

In another posting, I talked about selling my 2012 Carlton 4012 diesel, and later purchasing an almost identical 2012 Carlton 4012 big block gas model. The two machines had almost the same hours, and same Carlton wheel/teeth. The first machine was a remote control with the 44hp Kubota diesel. The current machine is a lever control with the 35hp Briggs Vanguard big block gas engine.
Now that I have had some time to get used to the lever control again,
here are my observations on how this 4012 big block 35hp Vanguard, lever control, compares to my recently sold 4012, 44hp Kubota diesel, remote control. This first job involved a 48" diameter Live Oak stump, with major root extensions.
1. Torque and HP on the gas engine were both less, and somewhat noticible. The lower ratings of this gas machine made a slight difference in grinding time, but not enough difference to be annoying. I completed the job in 1.5 hrs . I think the lesser HP will be much more of an issue if I let the teeth get too worn. The diesel machine could power through a tough stump, even with dull teeth.
2. I believe this machine used about 1/4 - 1/3 more fuel than the diesel engine would have used, based on my previous diesel ownership.
3. The lever control was hard to get used to again. I really MISSED the remote control. I have to relearn how to grind standing back around the side of the machine and with a poor view of the cutting area of the wheel. I really missed the remote when I had to squeeze the machine through a 48" wide fence opening while trying to reach the travel lever.
That about sums it up during my "breakin" time with the machine
Now that I have a good number of jobs under my belt, I still have pretty much the same opinions.
All in all, I am very happy with this lower HP , lever-control machine. I only plan on doing one or two stumps/week in my semi-retirement. It has plenty power to do that work efficiently. I have gotten used to the lever controls, and that has helped me cut down grinding time. This was a good machine choice for me, as it will still handle any size stump quickly, and I only have half as much invested in it.
I think, that for most buyers, the gas engine is a fine choice, at a huge cost savings. If you plan to put under 500 hours/year on the machine, then the gas would likely be a good choice. Over 500hrs/yr, I would recommend the diesel, for longer engine life. As for the wireless, well you will just have to decide if it is worth it for you. It was for me when I did lots of stumps. now, I don't really miss it.
Either way, the Carlton 4012 is a heck of a nice machine.
Jeff
Thank you for your report Jeff. I’m new to this site and I to do the same thing you do a couple of stumps per week.. thanks you..

Back