Confess your pickup glass mistakes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountainmandan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So in the last year and a half I have replaced the back glass 3 times in my truck.

1. I was going floating and loaded my canoe in the back of the truck, no weight in the front of the canoe. Went over an ozark bridge just a little too fast and canoe bounced up with assistance from the ropes tying it in and lands on my right shoulder. (an ozark bridge is no bridge, just ford the creek)

2. Pulling a post to do a new deck install, the post snaps and sails into the glass.

3. A piece of firewood tossed into an empty bed sure does bounce, but I only did that once.

The junkyard should be giving me volume discounts. I am getting pretty good at removing and reinstalling it though.

Any other good stories you folks would like to share?

I haven't replaced one since back in the late 60's. Some azzhat tried to chuck a brick through my back window. :angry:

So far I've been lucky with my current truck(8 ft Bed).I put two back windows in my last truck(6 ft bed)in a three month period.both times I made a sharp turn and fifth wheel camper got into back glass and broke it.sad thing was it happened at same campground in same place.

This will cure a lot of mistakes.
attachment.php
It has saved me at least 3 windows

1. Round of wood defied the laws of physics and rolled up and over the pile in my bed through the back window.

2. Dropping a cherry years ago, truck was parked quite a ways off. Top caught a dead limb on another tree and launched it onto the windshield.

3. 4 wheeler winch came through the back window a few weeks back after I hit an enormous dropoff after crossing a bridge on a desolate back road.

Haven't done the truck rear in yet, had a stone go through the windshield 3 days after it rolled off the lot new. But years ago we had a 12 passenger E250 and I was moving a bunch of 16' 2x8s to build our cabin, resting on the dash, over all the seats and out the rear doors - backed the back end of those boards into a tree and popped the front windshield :bang:

If you have a truck, and use it as a truck, one knows to have a back rack. unless the truck is a commuter car.

A few years ago I was scrounging some camp wood and I was throwing pine limbs in my pickup.
Guess what.....

YES DAMMIT!!!

Had to drive 50 miles with no back window, sure was cold..

Ha ha I just did this right before the holidays. We were moving wood from the clients from yard to his back yard, we did not have our loader so we were loading it in the back of the F350, well all loaded up I jump in to pull it out the yard and back it down the drive way well a little to much gas and the bump at the end of the driveway and bam log rolls in to the back glass corner and starts to starburst. Well hell, finished the job hooked up the stump grinder and on the way to the yard the back glass shatters scared the Craip out of me. The boss man loved that phone call

Haven't done the truck rear in yet, had a stone go through the windshield 3 days after it rolled off the lot new. But years ago we had a 12 passenger E250 and I was moving a bunch of 16' 2x8s to build our cabin, resting on the dash, over all the seats and out the rear doors - backed the back end of those boards into a tree and popped the front windshield :bang:

Son in law done something similar,he had some 14ft 2x6 in his truck bed .they were under tool box laying on closed tailgate,,he turned around in my drive and put the 2x6s right thru my garage door.

Been there, done that (twice), built myself a headache rack. Now I throw the wood at the rack just because I can.

It doesn't look this nice anymore, but the truck's nothing to take to the car show either:

134004d1271815501-100_2008-small-jpg

I was loading my snowmobile in the back of my sons Dodge Dakota, 6 ft box. When I bent over to give a tug on the sled, I stuck my fat arse through the back window.

A different time, he loaded my 4 wheeler in his truck. To get the tailgate to close, he shoved the wheeler ahead just a wee bit. Winch took out the window.

He no longer has that truck.

Ted

I wish I had a video of this one:

Back in college I had a Toyota Tacoma. A buddy and I were loading it up to head to the scrap yard. We were scrapping a steel shed for some beer money. We were tossing stuff in the bed when my buddy grabbed what amounted to the "ridge beam" of the shed. He tossed it in and it went smack into the rear window. Much to my astonishment, the glass didn't break! Instead, it tossed the piece of steel right back at him and hit him square in the forehead. I fell over laughing and he got a headache. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

ac

I wish I had a video of this one:

Back in college I had a Toyota Tacoma. A buddy and I were loading it up to head to the scrap yard. We were scrapping a steel shed for some beer money. We were tossing stuff in the bed when my buddy grabbed what amounted to the "ridge beam" of the shed. He tossed it in and it went smack into the rear window. Much to my astonishment, the glass didn't break! Instead, it tossed the piece of steel right back at him and hit him square in the forehead. I fell over laughing and he got a headache. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

ac

ive watched many people try to break out side windows with a hammer and have similar experiences.

i have been rather lucky to have neve broken a window on a pickup by accident. that being said i have put my fist through plenty of either cracked or so badly hazed windshields that needed replacing anyway.

many times i have gotten lucky with wood and rear windows. few times the rear slider was open and the wood landed in the cab. couple times it just bounced off. i have since built a headache rack for my wood hauler so thats not even a concern anymore. like steve NW WI said, i now throw wood at it just because i can. not sure if you can see it in the pics but its just 3/4 square tube frame with expanded mesh screen

I put 4 in my old 84 Dakota. 1 pulling g a quad in it two from errent pieces of wood...last was the back of my head backed up to fast and oak tree didn't move. My thick skull was harder than the rear window.

So far I've been lucky with my current truck(8 ft Bed).I put two back windows in my last truck(6 ft bed)in a three month period.both times I made a sharp turn and fifth wheel camper got into back glass and broke it.sad thing was it happened at same campground in same place.

Hopefully the same people weren't there to see it twice.

I've thrown thousands of splits of wood in my truck without incident over the last 10 years. This summer I was cleaning out the garage a bit and throught away an old tv. I put it in the truck, which was parked down hill, the TV rolled all the way and smashed out the window. Now the truck wears a headache rack and sideboards. Fool me once....

Loading rounds one morning when it was near zero. Round skipped off the top of the pile, right through the back window. Sure makes a heck of a mess inside!

Back