Connecticut State Garages wood piles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How can that be stopped? My opinion is that it cannot be. Somehow we managed to allow the legal system to control our lives. It may take two to three generations to figure out how to rectify the situation. At this point, it's rather had to breathe without worrying about whose lawyer is going to file suit against whom.

Should I bring in some firewood for next year? Maybe, but only if I agree in writing, fill out a long application, and agree not to press charges against my church that needs some old trees removed near the building.

by people taking responsibility for their own stupidity.

just once i'd like to hear a judge tell some one they can't sue mc donald's because you're too stupid to hold hot coffee.

Racer,
My town does the same thing. They haul downed trees to the local dump, then pay some company good money to take the trees away. The town should sell permits to any resident who proves that he can handle a chainsaw, and let them have at it.

I've had several/many fires in big bark piles .I can't speak to mulch laid out 4-6 inches thick.

Yeah, I'm talking the spread out instead of big piles.

My mind is more and more suspicious about the dyes used but I have to do more research.

And it's not just my imagination, I brought up the question on a fire board and someone posted a pamphlet from Virginia that starts,

There has been a signifcant increase in the number of fres that occur in landscaping mulch.

http://www.dof.virginia.gov/fire/resources/pub-Mulch-Fires.pdf

Now certainly spontaneous combustion isn't the only problem. The two major fires I know of (one in my town, one a few towns south) that had bark mulch as a contributing factor both were able to definitively say the ignition was carelessly discarded smoking materials during a period of very high brush fire danger.

But I've seen enough fires on freshly spread mulch now that I wouldn't put any near my house today unless a heavy rain was forecast for later that day.

SOMETHING has changed.

A landscape refuse recycling center near me has had several fires in their woodchip piles over the years. They have huge piles that are over 30' tall and when they catch on fire it takes alot to put them out. They now have a guy running a loader all day long turning over the piles so as to keep them from overheating.

They have a corn crib storage thingie for firewood and I noticed the other day they are filling it up with firewood for the first time in about 6-7 years. It is a slick way to store/dry firewood. ~10' Wide and ~20' tall and over a hundred feet long.

Back