Converting MS362 to MS362CM air filter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KRider

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've read that you can convert the MS362 over to the newer style MS362CM air filter. Does anybody know what the part numbers are or have access to the IPL for the MS362CM.

Thanks

Yes it can be done. You'll need 1140 141 0802 filter housing, 1140 121 6901 baffle, 1141 120 1604 HD filter. It's about a $50 conversion with all the parts.

For some reason there is a part# 1140 141 0802 filter housing for the 363, and a 1140 141 0800 filter housing for the 362 CM.. I have no clue on the difference.

If anyone is interested in doing this I have finally been able to do it. On top of needing the filter housing, baffle, and filter, you will need the CM hood and the plastic kill switch/choke and the choke linkage rod and the spring metal S clip that shorts the two wires to kill the motor. I had to rebend the choke linkage and trim some out of the fin on the underside of the hood. The hood I have does not have the holes for the carb adjustment but I was told that it does exist. I figured I could just take the hood off when tuning the saw, no biggy. The hood is still a bit tight but does fit and the saw looks normal and hopefully no worries about dust. The filter housing does have the carb adjustment holes so that leads me to believe a hood does exist with the holes. The parts cost me a little over $100 out of pocket. By the way my saw is in warranty for another 21 months and all I got from the dealer and Stihl rep was that I needed to sharpen my chain more often and to run it. The stihl rep my dealer spoke with said he had never heard of the dust problem. Ill be calling the Stihl USA office in VA Beach tomorrow to get more answers. I did this because I was not ready to step into a Mtronic saw and needed a good 60cc saw.
IMG_20140423_174112_514.jpg
IMG_20140423_173726_436.jpg

Thanks AKDoug for your help. I know its been about a month since I PMed you but the baffle was on back oreder for 3 weeks....

WOW!!! My dealer said it couldn't be done, so they swapped my 362 for a 362 C-M, I'm not complaining. It did take a lot of calls and emails to the Stihl rep to get it done.

That's a good write up there! I may have to try out a heat gun on my hood. That should make it fit like a glove.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Update.... After almost a year of running this setup I have yet to see any dust on the clean side of the filter. Working like a charm. Only thing I have seen is that the lip on the handle does rub the hood a bit, when your working a cut. Its only wearing the hood and not the handle. Comparing the CM saw to mine, that lip on the throttle handle is angled back more. Maybe if something happens to the handle/ gas tank I will see if the newer CM tank and handle will fit my saw. Until then I'll live with the wear on the hood....

Back