Cookie Rookie w/ vids

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ8Ted

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I did a muffler mod on my MS 290 this weekend. The saw is less than a year old and has had about two to three gallons of fuel through her. I got about a 10% to 15% faster cut time on the same piece of wood, same chain, same fuel batch, ect. The heat was reduced for sure, how much I can not tell you. My infra-red only reads 427*F stock the temp was too high to read, modded it started reading 400*F and was dropping quick at idle. These were after cuts (not the cuts in the vids) and I did not do a whole lot of temp measuring because the stock temps were too high to read but sure its running cooler. As for noise, it sounds different and only a bit louder (my hearing is not the best). I'm not the best sawyer and could be better at the cookie cutting thing. But the saw pulls harder and is faster, I was expecting a bit more after reading all the post on the MM. Its tuned close but I'm still messing a little with the "High" and am ready to cut a bigger piece of wood with longer cut time.

Ted

Stock
MS 290 Stock - YouTube

After MM
MS 290 Muffler mod - YouTube

Last edited:
Thanks folks,
I enjoy watching vids on the AS site and reading the tech info on chain types and saws. Figured I'd add a video of my own chips flying.
Can't believe I cut cookies. Ha Ha

Ted

Latest posts

Back