Cooking on your wood stove - pre EPA, EPA non-catalytic, EPA catalytic.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i left mine on there for 6hrs keeping at a low boil. just browned the roast in the dutch oven on the wood stove (cheapo non-epa wonderwood). then i cut up 4 potatoes, 6 carrots, half red onion, and one bag of liptons onion soup mix. probably my favorite meal in the world. its always melt in your mouth. i stuck a fork in the meat to get a chunk out and the whole roast fell apart

Cooking low and slow... Wow! That's a meal fit for a king.. That's the one thing I miss with the OWB.. We always make the same thing on the wood stove when we go up hunting. Love them carrots that way.

i left mine on there for 6hrs keeping at a low boil. just browned the roast in the dutch oven on the wood stove (cheapo non-epa wonderwood). then i cut up 4 potatoes, 6 carrots, half red onion, and one bag of liptons onion soup mix. probably my favorite meal in the world. its always melt in your mouth. i stuck a fork in the meat to get a chunk out and the whole roast fell apart

Midnight run of Ranch pancakes and this years blueberries in 8" cast iron pan direct on 400 deg stove top. 1 3/4 cup Krusteaz; 1 1/4 cup water; 1 cup berries. makes 4 about 1/2+ thick, 6-7 mins side. bacon for the grease.
Throw some Huckleberriess or Black Currents in for a change of pace.
Chappee cast iron wood/coal pre EPA, secondary clean burn.
View attachment 269841

No EPA here,

just an old Country Comfort Dragon from the '70s out in the shed.

Cooked up over 200 pints of pepper sauce on it last fall.

The lil woman don't like me stinking up her house.

3 vessels, one for blanching the skins off and two stock pots to simmer down the stash.

Use 1/8 inch aluminum disks and stack them up to four high to get the right simmer.

She runs the pressure cooker inside on the gas stove

My steak cooks best in my stove.
I have a 3ft long heafty stainless steel stick with a wood handle and a forked end.
I burn up some alder real fast and let it charcoal up real good.
Stick a 16oz steak through my stick and insert it in my stove.
Not letting it touch anything inside while I rotate it so that most of the fat rolled on the steak and not drip.
It only takes 2 minutes to get it slightly crispy on the outside and a super juicy rare to medium rare in the inside.
It's hard to cook for several people because you can only do one stick at a time. But I wouldn't cook my personal steak any other way.

I cook on mine sometimes, but it needs to be pretty cold to cook some things. Otherwise I have to open doors and windows because it gets too hot.lol
My stove is an EPA stove and the only stove I’ve cooked on, so I can give you a comparison.
I cook bacon and eggs, grill pancakes, make baskets & cornbread, and reheat lots of things.
I cook several ways, sometimes I cook slowly on the top with a small fire in the stove. And sometimes I rake the coals flat and put a cast iron skillet on the coals for a faster cook time.
The flat even heat makes great pancakes, when I cook on the top of the stove.

great, its almost 4am, i just got home from moving snow in town, and now i have a sudden craving for pancakes...

I cook on mine sometimes, but it needs to be pretty cold to cook some things. Otherwise I have to open doors and windows because it gets too hot.lol
My stove is an EPA stove and the only stove I’ve cooked on, so I can give you a comparison.
I cook bacon and eggs, grill pancakes, make baskets & cornbread, and reheat lots of things.
I cook several ways, sometimes I cook slowly on the top with a small fire in the stove. And sometimes I rake the coals flat and put a cast iron skillet on the coals for a faster cook time.
The flat even heat makes great pancakes, when I cook on the top of the stove.

If your stove is getting too hot for cooking try using a trivet. I never put my pan/pot directly on the stove. The trivet keeps my pots/pans from scratching the surface to heck and also allows the air to flow keeping whatever your cooking 1/2" off the surface. This allows you to have a cast iron pot of chili or stew simmer for hours without burning up. This is the one I have but I got it from another vendor on sale for $13.00;

Cast Iron Oval Lattice Wood Stove Trivet | WoodlandDirect.com: Steamers, Kettles & Trivets, Cast Iron Trivet, Trivets

It would probably be pretty easy to find something similar at a flea market at a fraction of the cost.

attachment.php

Here's my home milled shelves to hold the booty.

There are probably 125 pints that went with others that came to help.

I work on the share croppin' ideal, you help, you get half. (bring my damned jars back)

If your stove is getting too hot for cooking try using a trivet. I never put my pan/pot directly on the stove. The trivet keeps my pots/pans from scratching the surface to heck and also allows the air to flow keeping whatever your cooking 1/2" off the surface. This allows you to have a cast iron pot of chili or stew simmer for hours without burning up. This is the one I have but I got it from another vendor on sale for $13.00;

Cast Iron Oval Lattice Wood Stove Trivet | WoodlandDirect.com: Steamers, Kettles & Trivets, Cast Iron Trivet, Trivets

It would probably be pretty easy to find something similar at a flea market at a fraction of the cost.

I found that my cast iron grill from the BBQ pit works real well for keeping the pot off the surface and keeping things from burning.

great, its almost 4am, i just got home from moving snow in town, and now i have a sudden craving for pancakes...

i'm dodging the blame for that, lol !

sachsmo - great shelves you milled up there and pepper sauce looks good. lot of work in putting them up, but well worth it. I hear you on on the jars. Just drop the empties off and the posse won't get called out !

Try baking some potatoes inside your wood stove. Yes it can be done, used to bake them inside the stove when we lived in Maine. Pierce the potatoes, slather some oil or butter on them and double wrap them in aluminum foil. Inside the stove rake some small live coals to the front side of the wood burner and cover them with some dead ashes. Sit the potatoes on top. Close the door and let them cook for 15 min. or so and rotate them 180 degrees over. another 10-15 minutes and give them a half turn, then another 10-15 and another half turn. You may have to experiment based on your potato size and how your wood burner works and even how the draft air enters the firebox, but it can be done with out burning the potatoes up . You cant have a roaring blaze going on in there but if the firebox is big enough the main burn can be to the back of the firebox without it affecting the potatoes too much. Anyways, they were better tasting than in the gas oven and once we got it down for our stove it was a regular deal for us. Wanted to do some roasting ears of corn that way sometime, but I never tried it.
Cheaper than firing up the gas oven for good eating. As other have said you can do a lot of cooking on a wood burner. With a few trivets and utensils you can cook just about anything. Lose you electricity for a week and you will be amazed at what you learn to cook on your wood stove:)

i'm dodging the blame for that, lol !

sachsmo - great shelves you milled up there and pepper sauce looks good. lot of work in putting them up, but well worth it. I hear you on on the jars. Just drop the empties off and the posse won't get called out !

In the big picture it's not worth my breath.

Just like to put them on a guilt trip, and allows me to be crotchety.

Here's a couple pics of my dragon, they don't make 'em like that anymore.

attachment.php

attachment.php

the fire box is 21 deep, 27 inches wide and 22 inches tall (between the vents)

Due to the round top on my old Woodchuck, cooking was about impossible. I made a sheet metal tray to hold a water pot, but it wasn't real effective as the heat didn't transfer well to it.

Had to try cooking on the new Drolet this morning, might as well have been cooking on the gas range. First pic shows the nice rolling fire, pan warming up on the right, and my 6 qt water pot/humidifier on the left (can boil down a few of those on a load of wood now, actually helps keep it a little moister.

attachment.php

It's BACON! (Did you expect any less out of me?)

attachment.php

The only downside that I didn't think through was bacon grease splattering on my new stove - DOH. Gonna have to let it cool down some and clean that off. Next time I'll keep a lid on it!

Why did I know you'd be doing this... :msp_biggrin:

The guy gets a new stove to heat his house and he starts multi-tasking.. :rock:

I'd rep ya for the cooking but gott'a watch them grease fires.. Did I see a cot and a TV down there along the wall?

I grill on my stove just about everyday. When I was looking for a cast iron stove the 1 option that sold me was the drop in grill. It's a EPA Cert Harman Oakwood, it has real long burn times, it easily heats my 1500 sq ft home, and offers tasty wood fired treats. It doesn't have a cat. converter, but has a secondary combustion chamber. I think they offer a rotiserie option for it too. It cooks a little slower than my microwave.

View attachment 277117View attachment 277118

That is a great feature, I hope all the rest of the stoves catch on to that.

Try baking some potatoes inside your wood stove. Yes it can be done, used to bake them inside the stove when we lived in Maine. Pierce the potatoes, slather some oil or butter on them and double wrap them in aluminum foil. Inside the stove rake some small live coals to the front side of the wood burner and cover them with some dead ashes. Sit the potatoes on top. Close the door and let them cook for 15 min. or so and rotate them 180 degrees over. another 10-15 minutes and give them a half turn, then another 10-15 and another half turn. You may have to experiment based on your potato size and how your wood burner works and even how the draft air enters the firebox, but it can be done with out burning the potatoes up . You cant have a roaring blaze going on in there but if the firebox is big enough the main burn can be to the back of the firebox without it affecting the potatoes too much. Anyways, they were better tasting than in the gas oven and once we got it down for our stove it was a regular deal for us. Wanted to do some roasting ears of corn that way sometime, but I never tried it.
Cheaper than firing up the gas oven for good eating. As other have said you can do a lot of cooking on a wood burner. With a few trivets and utensils you can cook just about anything. Lose you electricity for a week and you will be amazed at what you learn to cook on your wood stove:)

Never tried it with a wood stove, but have with a campfire.

I believe its the best way to cook a potato, they always taste much better than either oven baked or microwaved, the skin is crispy too.

You really don't even need butter for them.

I grill on my stove just about everyday. When I was looking for a cast iron stove the 1 option that sold me was the drop in grill. It's a EPA Cert Harman Oakwood, it has real long burn times, it easily heats my 1500 sq ft home, and offers tasty wood fired treats. It doesn't have a cat. converter, but has a secondary combustion chamber. I think they offer a rotiserie option for it too. It cooks a little slower than my microwave.

View attachment 277117View attachment 277118

That's a nice feature, I'm interested in one of those for my next stove. How long have you had that and what's your impression so far?

A great way to get the house smelling wonderful, keep some humidity going, and have a meal starter is to simmer a soup stock all day.

I've done this a few times on my Vt. Castings non-cat Encore, and it works pretty well.

Take your chicken/turkey/beef/ham bones, add some onion, carrot, celery, bay leaves, sweet marjoram, chili powder, cumin, or whatever herbs and spices you like, fill the stock pot with water and simmer for 8-12 hours, adding more water as needed. Strain out everything and freeze or can the broth/stock for future use. Or just dump in some fresh veggies/noodles/meat/poultry/etc. and have a good soup right then!

I've also done a few roasts and chili on the stove with my Lodge Dutch oven. Gotta be a little careful about heat and water/moisture level on these if you're cranking the stove for heat.

Haven't tried to actually use the griddle top itself, don't think I'd do well with eggs on it. Seems like the heat is either too much or not enough. But for a long simmering meal, I love using the wood stove!

Latest posts

Back