Cord/firewood amount of room it takes up ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloth9669

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Ok first off ill say i know a cord is 128cubic feet or 4x4x8 stacked. The question here is what do you think a cord is hand thrown into container will take up ? 160 190 210 cubic feet...i know its a pure guess but any good guess is welcome. thanks for your time and ill be posting this years wood pile pic's soon. Happy cutting to all.

A cord of firewood is 128 cubic feet a 4 ft by 4ft by 8 foot
stack is a cord and it is worth more than it pays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I say cut stack a cord then throw in
your container and see lol.

Last edited:
loose firewood

Between 175 & 180 cu ft. I have a 36' dump trailor my wholesale acounts all stack there wood after I dump it off. I use 175 cu ft. fore a measure.When I calculated the total volume of my trailor I added a little for error and I have been right on. Farmer Fred

its better to just stack it first then you can get an accurate measurement. but, a loose cord ( not a legal cord) is 160-170 cubic feet. ive had a stacked cord and thrown it into my dump truck for measurement and this is what it came out to be.

Last edited:
When I calculated the total volume of my trailor I added a little for error and I have been right on.

A "bakers dozen" "for good measuer" is a is allways best. Every other year the one of the news companies will do an expose' on firewood. They get a dump delivery and do a tight-stack (very tight) and show that almost everyone shorts thier loads.

I have one aquaintance who started off counting face cords, then after he got a good idea as to the count for a loose pile he would do a visual estimate. Now he sells enought hat he dries in piles, stacks to finnish dry, then loads the truck from the stacks. It helps to have conveyors and skid steers.

We have one topsoil/sod company that uses thier spider loader/flatbeds to deliver palettized cords. Darn and here I thought that was my idea several years ago.

A "bakers dozen" "for good measuer" is a is allways best. Every other year the one of the news companies will do an expose' on firewood. They get a dump delivery and do a tight-stack (very tight) and show that almost everyone shorts thier loads.

I have one aquaintance who started off counting face cords, then after he got a good idea as to the count for a loose pile he would do a visual estimate. Now he sells enought hat he dries in piles, stacks to finnish dry, then loads the truck from the stacks. It helps to have conveyors and skid steers.

We have one topsoil/sod company that uses thier spider loader/flatbeds to deliver palettized cords. Darn and here I thought that was my idea several years ago.

I can't see how one can be making much selling firewood when you pay the cost of stacking it first. I only sell a few cord/year 'loose thrown' and would charge extra if they wanted it stacked.

Harry K

I saw on a government site that a thrown cord will measure 153cu ft

however other info I have seen is in the 170cu ft range....

and of course a stacked cord will measure 128cu ft...

personally I think the 153cu ft is closer...as that adds 20% more air volume space.... VS 33% more air volume space for the other calculation....which seems a bit high to me...

I am going to mesure out a stacked cord this year..and then ..put it in a thrown cord and actually measure it...

yeah... no way anyone in thier right mind selling any volume of firewood is going to stack the wood..thats just nuts....and increases the handling of it many fold....

I process the wood...goes to a conveyor...dumps into a pile....dries....then gets loaded up with a loader into a trailer.... and delivered....

no stacking here....

yeah... no way anyone in thier right mind selling any volume of firewood is going to stack the wood..thats just nuts....and increases the handling of it many fold....

I process the wood...goes to a conveyor...dumps into a pile....dries....then gets loaded up with a loader into a trailer.... and delivered....

no stacking here....

I tend to disagree with you. Here in NH, its mandatory that firewood must stack to the amount sold. So, I don't think you will make it in this region, after your first violation. If you are getting compensated for stacking the firewood for measurement, then whats the big deal ??

I can't see how one can be making much selling firewood when you pay the cost of stacking it first. I only sell a few cord/year 'loose thrown' and would charge extra if they wanted it stacked.

Harry K

Harry, we make a profit every year in selling firewood which includes stacking first for measurement.

Ok first off ill say i know a cord is 128cubic feet or 4x4x8 stacked. The question here is what do you think a cord is hand thrown into container will take up ? 160 190 210 cubic feet...i know its a pure guess but any good guess is welcome. thanks for your time and ill be posting this years wood pile pic's soon. Happy cutting to all.

I would guess somewhere between 150 - 200 cu ft. Let me know if my guess is correct. Thanks

when i deliver, i tell people that if there are ANY questions about whether they got shorted, give me a call, and i'll bring more out, or cheerfully pick up the wood and refund them.

I have a snowbucket for my skidsteer. 4 scoops with teh bucket ends up being 10-15 pieces more then a cord eveyr time i measure it.

If i stacked it, it would take me a man hour on average. my time is worth more then 25 an hour. i am waaaaaay better off to throw in a little extra wood, and get the terrible reputation of a firewood salesman that always delivers too much wood.

I have been stacking it

I won't short anybody.

With the dump, I could... maybe... stack a cord and then toss it in there to see just how many cu ft. it ends up being. My guess is 160-180 :yoyo:

It is just as crazy to be way over a cd. When I stack the truck I am about 5% over.

-Pat

In my opinion I don't think you can nail it down to a cu. ft. measurement for wood tossed in a pile. The amount of air space has too many variables, like how big is the wood split? How long are the pieces? How did they land? The measurement could varry a lot. I do know that with enough experience you can get a pretty good guess at wheather it's a cord or not, but I think that's all it is, a pretty good guess.
That being said, when I deliver split firewood it's just thrown in the truck out of a pile.

Andy

I tend to disagree with you. Here in NH, its mandatory that firewood must stack to the amount sold. So, I don't think you will make it in this region, after your first violation. If you are getting compensated for stacking the firewood for measurement, then whats the big deal ??

AFAIK it is mandatory anywhere wood sales are regulated that the amount delivered must be at least what is advertised. That does not say that the "dealer" has to do the stacking. If the customer stacks and it comes up short then there is a violation.

My point was that if _you_ are stacking on delivery and your competitors are not, you will be either losing money or out of business because you will have to charge more than they do.

Harry K

he is rich enough he doesn't mind losing the 25 bucks a cord in pure profit, and young enough he enjoys stacking wood for the pure joy of it.

AFAIK it is mandatory anywhere wood sales are regulated that the amount delivered must be at least what is advertised. That does not say that the "dealer" has to do the stacking. If the customer stacks and it comes up short then there is a violation.

My point was that if _you_ are stacking on delivery and your competitors are not, you will be either losing money or out of business because you will have to charge more than they do.

Harry K

Harry, I think some legal advisor should interpret the regulations to you. The regulations".... must stack to the amount sold..." meaning its the sellers responsiblity, not the buyer or consumers responsiblity. Its the same if you bought a pound of hamburg from a supermarket. You as a consumer expect it to be weighed with a accurate scale, not just grab a handfull of hamburg and throw in a packaged and call it a pound. Did you ever hear of consumer protection ??
As to your point of stacking ... vs competitors ..... . Lets put the shoe on the other foot, Why should you skip a few steps (stacking for measurement) and your competition is stacking the firewood he sells. Why should you be charging the same price when your are skipping/guessing on the volumn amount.
Your theory "... either lossing money or .. out of business ... is an incorrect statement. We have been selling firewood for about 19 years and in a stacked measured form, and we are not loosing money nor are we out of business, yet !!
True, it does cost more to offer a better product and a true volumn measurement, but if you are being compensated for the finish product, whats the problem ??

Last edited:
Back