Cord/firewood amount of room it takes up ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I presume you are either charging more than your competitors or all you competitors also stack?

Harry K

Yes, Our prices are more than a firewood dealer that sells run-of-the-mill firewood and dumps it at the customers yard of an unknown volumn. We don't have competition in this region. There is enough firewood sales for all of us to go around. Though we do have a few jealous firewood dealers around here, but I guess thats true anywhere. I don't know of any legitimate firewood dealer in this region that sells an un-stacked measurement before its delivered to the consumer.

Yes, Our prices are more than a firewood dealer that sells run-of-the-mill firewood and dumps it at the customers yard of an unknown volumn. We don't have competition in this region. There is enough firewood sales for all of us to go around. Though we do have a few jealous firewood dealers around here, but I guess thats true anywhere. I don't know of any legitimate firewood dealer in this region that sells an un-stacked measurement before its delivered to the consumer.

You keep implying (and in the above) outright saying that delivering 'loose thrown' is not a measured amount. I have measured my 'loose thrown' wood before loading and I know I have a cord when it rounds above the racks. That is a standard way of doing it. Start with a tight stacked cord (or more) on the ground, throw into the truck and note what theload looks like. Or as others do, how many scoop loads it takes to make a cord and load that way.

Back to your _assumption_ that that reg requires the 'dealer' to stack it. That is your interpretation. There is nothing in it that says that. Same as with your hamburger example. If I am suspicious, it is up to me to get it weighed to check. Same as with the recipient of a load of wood. He doubts the amount, he can either stack it himself or ask the dealer to do so (if the dealer is willing). Either way the regulation is met. All it says is that it must stack to a cord, it says nothing at all about who has to do the stacking.

Harry K

You keep implying (and in the above) outright saying that delivering 'loose thrown' is not a measured amount. I have measured my 'loose thrown' wood before loading and I know I have a cord when it rounds above the racks. That is a standard way of doing it. Start with a tight stacked cord (or more) on the ground, throw into the truck and note what theload looks like. Or as others do, how many scoop loads it takes to make a cord and load that way.

Back to your _assumption_ that that reg requires the 'dealer' to stack it. That is your interpretation. There is nothing in it that says that. Same as with your hamburger example. If I am suspicious, it is up to me to get it weighed to check. Same as with the recipient of a load of wood. He doubts the amount, he can either stack it himself or ask the dealer to do so (if the dealer is willing). Either way the regulation is met. All it says is that it must stack to a cord, it says nothing at all about who has to do the stacking.

Harry K

Again, you might want to have your regulations explained to you by your attorney or any legal advisor ; Your regulations applies to the Seller's responsibility (e.g. ; one who is selling; meaning the firewood dealer) .

2.4. fireplace and stove wood
For the purpose of this regulation, this section shall apply to the sale of all wood, natural and processed, for use as fuel.

The regulation also requries that firewood must stack to the amount sold at the time of the sale in determining the volumn amount being sold and recieved by the customer. So, It really doesn't matter to me who does the stacking or if it ever gets stacked. Furthermore, I might have been giving the wrong legal advice in interpretating the current regulations for the past 20 years,who knows !! . But anyway, I have been advised before that firewood dealers do things differently in other parts of the world. Maybe, thats still the case today. Have a good day !

Last edited:
Most people around here have two prices one for dumped another for stacked-I buy wood vs sell'n it and Id rather just get it dumped if I new a good guide line for what a cord is - I wood expect it to be a lil ova a cord vs under - Im think'n 170 sq feet should be about right? spilt small (around 4 in across) and 2 feet long.

well no one around here stacks anything...except for the individual customers that have it stacked at thier house for thier own use...

All the big firewood suppliers have the wood in thrown piles..and deliver it with a dump truck or dump trailer...

I dont see what the difference is..as long as you supply over the amount the customer is paying for...

100% no way am I going to be breaking my back stacking 100's of cords of wood all year.. when i have a perfectly good loader tractor to move it around..

:)

Back