Cord prices falling like dominoes...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is crazy how the prices vary upon location.
I was getting $150 a face cord delivered, for oak. I put a picture of my truck with a face cord in it on face book buy/sell /trade. Ready to go, can deliver anytime!..
..no one trusts Craigslist anymore.

We are seeing 125-150$ for a full cord of split hardwood delivered , but it's always been that price in last 5 years or so . You guys getting over 200 a cord are doing better than you think it seems .

Put some discipline back into wood selling?? What the heck does that mean? Around here, if you sell a good product, you will get a fair price regardless of gas/oil prices. Also, for the most part, sellers who sell quality seasoned wood and actually deliver full cords usually sell out before the cold weather even hits.
Burning wood is not only a cost effective way of heating your home but it also gives a sense of independence from big oil companies and a feeling of beating "the man."

you got it jrider. not blowing my horn,but i'm getting $240 a cord selling it by the bin. mostly oak with a little ash and occasional maple. picked up. granted i'm not selling wood like last winter but i hear from the customers how they like my wood. cut right(16") and dry, ready to burn. i do the same with wood as i do with my produce in the summertime. if i wouldn't eat it i don't sell it. i know some people are living week to week paycheck wise and my $60 price is something they can handle to stay warm. i realize lots of price fluctuations happen across the country.

I was getting $150 a face cord delivered, for oak. I put a picture of my truck with a face cord in it on face book buy/sell /trade. Ready to go, can deliver anytime!..
True!

I hooked up some HS classmates with some firewood last winter. He had located a guy selling "seasoned birch" for $150 a full cord on CL.

They called him the day of delivery to say they were going to be late. He asked why and they said because they hadn't "made" it yet. Made? "Yeah we have to go out and cut the trees down in a few minutes."

Seasoned my arse!

That's interesting that FB is the way to go now for firewood.

I'm on a couple of FB buy/sell sites. I've scored a couple of "you suck" deals including a $450 outboard for $100 and a free basketball backboard/pole/base for my kids.

It all comes down to the area. $125-150 a cord is roughly what I have into the wood as it sits in logs. Being I don't own the logging equipment I am paying for someone to keep that machinery going plus put food on his table. Granted I get a decent price because I work alongside him (my friend) but the equipment doesn't run on hopes and dreams.

If delivered as tree length we get $1400 a load which is about 9 cords.

We are seeing 125-150$ for a full cord of split hardwood delivered , but it's always been that price in last 5 years or so . You guys getting over 200 a cord are doing better than you think it seems .

That's interesting that FB is the way to go now for firewood.

I'm on a couple of FB buy/sell sites. I've scored a couple of "you suck" deals including a $450 outboard for $100 and a free basketball backboard/pole/base for my kids.
I think it's because they have a name and a face to go by. And they can basically publicly humiliate you if you rip them off in anyway. And people are on there constintly and do a lot of impulse buying. The group in my area has over 18,000 members.

I think it's because they have a name and a face to go by. And they can basically publicly humiliate you if you rip them off in anyway. And people are on there constintly and do a lot of impulse buying. The group in my area has over 18,000 members.
Nice, mine has 12k. I do get a laugh when people post stuff like breast pumps or adult diapers on those sites. But as a family friend said, "there's a butt for every toilet seat".

Nice, mine has 12k. I do get a laugh when people post stuff like breast pumps or adult diapers on those sites. But as a family friend said, "there's a butt for every toilet seat".
Yes lots of junk on there, that's why if you got something decent people jump at it. Seems like people just want to buy something. It's kind of like an auction. Plus it's more local, on cl I was getting calls from people 50+ miles away

Yes lots of junk on there, that's why if you got something decent people jump at it. Seems like people just want to buy something. It's kind of like an auction. Plus it's more local, on cl I was getting calls from people 50+ miles away
Exactly! It's like sharks with blood in the water.

you got it jrider. not blowing my horn,but i'm getting $240 a cord selling it by the bin. mostly oak with a little ash and occasional maple. picked up. granted i'm not selling wood like last winter but i hear from the customers how they like my wood. cut right(16") and dry, ready to burn. i do the same with wood as i do with my produce in the summertime. if i wouldn't eat it i don't sell it. i know some people are living week to week paycheck wise and my $60 price is something they can handle to stay warm. i realize lots of price fluctuations happen across the country.
You certainly aren't blowing your own horn. People that look at it just like you and I have no problem moving firewood no matter what oil/gas prices are.

Burning wood is not cost effective when it is enjoying run away prices due to fireplace ambiance sales and oil is wholesaling for $1.09 on the commodities market like it is today. Yes, I know the quoted oil price does not include shipping and delivery but even so it is dirt cheap compared to most retail prices for dry wood.
The sell out early is a fact only because people do not treat wood the same way they treat everything else that they buy, including heating oil.
Some people treat it like oil and some don't. I generally sell out every year in the fall but that didn't stop the "lets wait till it's actually cold crowd." I had about half a dozen of them contact me this week when we finally got some cold weather. They didn't like hearing I was sold out.

Burning wood is not cost effective when it is enjoying run away prices due to fireplace ambiance sales and oil is wholesaling for $1.09 on the commodities market like it is today. Yes, I know the quoted oil price does not include shipping and delivery but even so it is dirt cheap compared to most retail prices for dry wood.
The sell out early is a fact only because people do not treat wood the same way they treat everything else that they buy, including heating oil.

Around here, wood prices are not running away, and oil while although it has decreased in price some the last few months is till a loooonnnggg way from being anything close to 'dirt cheap'.

If I had to buy either for a winters worth of heat, I would be looking at around $1000 for wood, and $4000 for oil. Assuming $200/cord for wood, and $0.90/litre for oil - which is about what stuff costs here. Wood is still the best value by far.

Fuel prices are a small part of the overall cost to produce a cord of processed wood. When oil goes down, that doesn't decrease the value of a tree, or labour, or equipment. I'm not sure how productive everyone else is, but I always ballparked that a cord of wood per day per person was a pretty good output. So for whoever said money is made at $100/cord - well, if you're making money, it ain't much and your labour is worth even less.

We have electric heat but it's not very efficient. For that reason we burn wood for heat and I collect locally and process my own firewood. If I was paying $250-350 / cord that would cost me more than running my electric heat. Sucks that people are having to drop prices I suppose but I'm not apposed to seeing it as that seems really pricy to me for wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I aint in the firewood selling business, but I do keep a eye on priceing. And will buy a load every now and then at the right price. Facebook pages are joke to me. I had one person advertise a cord for $75, delivered and stacked, contacted them and told them I would take everything they have, had cash and would take delivery as soon as possible. Their cords where pickup truck loads throwed into the back of the truck. Not even rounded up, just to the top of the bed rails. Well that sell went south in a heck of a hurry. Prices are all over the place here. Got a buddy with a 3/4 ton ford selling split and stacked for $100 load, he rounds the truck up pretty good, but it still aint nowhere near a cord or even a 1/2 cord, I bought one load from him and we stacked it in my shed, about a rick, 4x8 with a few sticks thrown on top. His price was discounted to $50 or I wouldnt have bought it. Bought another load off him that was in rounds and hauled in my dump trailer, gave him $75 and pretty close to a full cord, maybe a tad more, but I havent split it yet. Go down the road and theres a fellow selling a 8ft flatbed load for $75. One ft side boards on truck bed and wood heaped up in the middle, hes probably got less wood on his truck than my buddy does. Another guy with a tandem dump truck. Maybe a 13ft bed, wood thrown in off a conveyor and just above the bed rail. $400 delivered and dumped. Might be 2 +/-cords but he says 4cords. I havent seen it stacked anywhere but I feel 4 cords is pretty optimistic. Even still, its still a better buy than the pickup loads.

I dont know where I came up with this number, but I feel if I ever start selling wood, my price would have to be about $225cord or it wouldnt be worth doing. I wouldnt be stacking for that price either. If I sold, it would have to be to select customers. I would only sell a cord at a time, haul it in my dump trailer and then dump it on a site I could get to easily, cash on delivery before dumping. I just dont like dealing with every swinging Richard that wants to haggle prices and will only bad mouth you as soon as your out of site. My business model might eliminate a bunch of small customers, but I would much better deliver one load of wood to one site as have to make three or four stops to deliver the same amount, not to mention having to deal with the extra people. And if someone wanted to haul their own, I might discount the price a little, but they would have to do the loading as well as the hauling. I aint going to be responsible for someone throwing a stick thru a back window or putting a scratch on the side of their trucks. I would make some exceptions for Granny or the disabled, but that would be about it.

I'm not in the firewood business either but I do sell firewood as it's a byproduct of my tree service. I burn much of what I bring home and I sell what I have extra. I would never go cut up trees just to turn them into firewood to sell. (not in my market at least)

I sell seasoned, split firewood for $140 a cord picked up at my site. I'll help load. You pick out the wood. This is mostly red and white oak, hickory, gum and whatever other misc hardwoods happened to find there way into the piles. Pine here is burn pile fodder.

Firewood sales have been almost non-existent this season. I've sold about a cord total.
I won't lower my price below $140 to move it because if it doesn't sell, I'll just use it myself.

To show how mild of a "winter" we've been having, It's January and I have yet to light the wood burner in my shop season. I burn "undesirable" wood in that so if it's chilly, I make a fire. Just haven't needed to. Right now, (4pm on Jan 8) it's 50 degrees.

Back