Cord volumes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I see a number of places that give weights of cords of wood but I am trying to find out what the volume of a loose cord is. I know a stacked cord is 128 cu ft but instead of stacking the wood in the truck only to dump it out later, is there an acceptable number for a loose cord in the back of a truck? I used to get wood delivered to me for sale cut/split and it was loose in the tractor trailer. I was told the trailer held 12-15 cords, depending on the measurements given from the supplier. Is there any way to sell the wood in loose cords and be fair and reputable?

Some people on here say it's 180 cubic feet. I can never get that to stack out to a cord. I think it's around 220 cubic feet. Throw a trailer full and the stack it to find what works for you. It saves time to throw and deliver a little extra wood then it does to stack it over and over.

Scott

Wow, I heard numbers in the past around 150 cu ft = 1 cord but 180 -220??! At that rate, I was only getting 12 cords in a trailer when I thought it was more like 15. What a loss! Paid for 3 cords I didn't get and that was usually all the profit. I guess one way to find out is to stack it tight and then dump it into a truck or trailer.

Wow, I heard numbers in the past around 150 cu ft = 1 cord but 180 -220??! At that rate, I was only getting 12 cords in a trailer when I thought it was more like 15. What a loss! Paid for 3 cords I didn't get and that was usually all the profit. I guess one way to find out is to stack it tight and then dump it into a truck or trailer.

180 is about right. I can get just under 1 cord loose rounded above the racks on my F150 with 4' racks. 5x8x4 = 160 cut ft. I have to add a bit extra for each load at the end to be sure I am giving a cord.

I measure it in the stack before I begin loading.

Before the "you can't haul 1 cord on a 1/2 ton" begins - this is well cured Willow.

Harry K

Last edited:
Some people on here say it's 180 cubic feet. I can never get that to stack out to a cord. I think it's around 220 cubic feet. Throw a trailer full and the stack it to find what works for you. It saves time to throw and deliver a little extra wood then it does to stack it over and over.

Scott

I also think 180 is low, I'm around 200-210 w/ my loads. I've never had a complaint. Better to deliver more than less. Word of mouth can be a mother.

I know that dropping wood in the trailer from a conveyor it will average about 200 cu ft to make a cord. Tossed in by hand you might make 180 work, but I think you might be a little short.

Andy

Latest posts

Back