Cord?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As they said, 128 cubic feet. And that is not just a 'typical' measurement for a cord, it is the only measurement for a full cord of wood.

What are the typical measurments for a cord of wood?

depending how it's cut.

if the logs are 12 inches, there should be 4 rows, 4 feet high, 8 feet long.

if they're cut to 18 inches, should be three rows, 4 feet high, 8 feet long.

either way, or no matter what, 4 feet wide, 4 feet high, 8 feet long...stacked tight as stated above.

I've read where there is only 70% of a true 128 cu.ft in a "tightly stacked" cord. For what it's worth. That makes an actual 89.6 cu.ft.

Actually... that number is worth NOTHING! The customer buying a cord EXPECTS to see 4'x4'x8'... tightly stacked. They are not interested in the theoretical reduction caused by an unmeasurable amount of airspace.

Actually... that number is worth NOTHING! The customer buying a cord EXPECTS to see 4'x4'x8'... tightly stacked. They are not interested in the theoretical reduction caused by an unmeasurable amount of airspace.

This is exactly right!! I bought wood for 3 years 3 cords a year before I got set up to do it my self. If I would have gotten this I would have been extremely happy.

I really got tired of all the wood sellers around here. I told many different guys time and time again I want to buy a full cord and it never stacks up. I would tell them if you give me a full cord not only will I pay a good price for it but I will be back for more again and again. But no, despite all of the reassurances it never not even once stacked up. I would call them after and some would bring a little more to even it out and some would never call me back.

I guess it's too much work for some guys to provide what they claim.

So I had to buy a Dolmar and a wood truck and a splitter.

I know a guy that sells wood by the truck load. He said its too much trouble to stack it all nice on measured racks and then throw it in the truck. Most times the split wood is in a big pile and loaded on the truck from there.

I could see not knowing what your truck will haul, but it would only take one time of loading a measured cord to figure it out.

That's right. One time.... Laziness or just plain old dishonesty

As it is I don't really have a lot of time to process my own wood. but to keep from being ripped off I have to.

175-180 cu. ft. of unstacked 14-16" wood will get you close. My flat bed is 7.5' wide 9' long and my racks are 34" tall I can pull it under my convayer and get it leval full and it will stack up a cord, or if they want 4 rick I can stack it front to back and round it up and get that on. If they want less, they can come and haul it their self.

They are not interested in the theoretical reduction caused by an unmeasurable amount of airspace.

Your wrong if people knew they only getting 2/3 of the wood they thought they were, they scream rape. Hey if your paying for 128 cu.ft of wood, I want it all not 70% of it. I know it's impossible to ever be accurate, and is easy to screw people. So a cord should be measured at 89.6 cu.ft instead of 128, dispite it's cubic measurements. It's kinda misleading. Thats like buying 10 gallons of gas but only getting 7 instead.

That's right. One time.... Laziness or just plain old dishonesty

As it is I don't really have a lot of time to process my own wood. but to keep from being ripped off I have to.

I remember seeing a post somewhere here a while ago discussing these, some states won't allow firewood sellers to sell by a cord measurement, but by the truckload.

Your wrong if people knew they only getting 2/3 of the wood they thought they were, they scream rape. Hey if your paying for 128 cu.ft of wood, I want it all not 70% of it. I know it's impossible to ever be accurate, and is easy to screw people. So a cord should be measured at 89.6 cu.ft instead of 128, dispite it's cubic measurements. It's kinda misleading. Thats like buying 10 gallons of gas but only getting 7 instead.

Well, when you figure out a way to make a stack with no air, get back to us. The official descriptions found in all weights and measures regs reads very close to the followign

"A stack of wood 4' x 4' x 8' tightly stacked, or 128 cu ft tightly stacked to any size pile". A customer who complains that he wants 89.6 cu ft of solid wood from me will be told to take the official measure or get lost.

Harry K

Back