Cordless Impact Tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlenM

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What's a good, cheap, (these may be contradictory terms) cordless impact tool?
:confused:

Guy worked on my garage door this week, and was using a small cordless impact for sheet metal screws. He got away before I could ask him what he was using.
Was wanting a small one like he had for light work, e.g., disassembling mowers, saws, trimmers, etc.

I run the DeWalt 18 volt impact.I would not recommend it for for saw assembly/disassembly as there is too much torque.Stripped threads and snapped fasteners would ensue.I use my smaller DeWalt regular drill,I find it much more controllable and it has progressive torque settings.Your mileage may vary...

The 12 volt range of impacts are good for working saws, I use my Maximum impact the most, sold through Canadian Tire here in Canada. The 12 volt DeWalt is just a little more powerful, good for breaking flywheel and clutch nuts free, a little overkill for just screw running.
Pioneerguy600

My Makita 18V Li-Ion does everything I ask of it and can drive screws all day long on two batteries. I don't find excess torque to be an issue with it really, because it has a very good variable speed trigger and doesn't overtorque at all if I back off on the speed significantly just before bottoming the nut/bolt out.

Define a "cheap" cordless impact though... I paid $425 for a kit with the driver, a drill, two batteries, and a charger four years ago. The impact guns with a battery and charger alone go for around $200. I doubt that would fit most average folks' definition of cheap, but it's the best money I ever spent on any tool. They get used a LOT, not to mention thrown around in the back of the truck or ATV trailer with all my milling gear. The driver has probably fallen a hundred yards over its lifetime if I were to add up every time I've knocked it off of the workbench or a log in the woods. It's no worse for the wear.

+1 for the Ryobi.....That is if you are looking for something cheap.
I got the impact, two batteries, charger, and a radio for less than $100.
It's still going strong, wouldn't trade it.

+ 2 on the ryobi for cheap. Can't beat it , got mine on clearance at home depot for $69 I think it was. Probably wouldn't buy one if I was a professional, but thats one thing I've never been called.:monkey:

Gotta put in a +3 for the Ryobi, been beating the dog snot out of an 18V impact/drill combo at the shop every day for over a year now. A little on the heavy side but hard to beat for the money.

Not what I choose for my personal home/shop use though, I went with the Milwaukee 18V Li Ion combo and absolutely love it for the size/weight/power.... I'd dare say it's the perfect combo for a saw bench. :cheers:

I had a 18v Dewalt drill until I was on a ladder at a rent house and it took a nosedive off of the ladder. Landed nose first and destroyed the transmission. I was at a point to where I had to have a driver so I hit some pawn shops and stumbled across a Milwaukee 18v kit with impact, drill, recip saw, two chargers, two batteries, bag, and flashlight. It's been about two months and Milwaukee is good stuff in my book. BTW, I'm not saying I got a deal but $150for everything I was happy. Don't be afraid to hit the pawn shops for deals.

I have built/repaired lots of cordless drills and as a result I have seen and used a lot of them.

It's hard to argue about the Ryobi product; excellent price point for the quality that you get.

However, I have had a Makita 18V li-ion impact driver as a few posters in this thread have mentioned and it is unreal. The built-in LED light seems like a gimmick but it is very useful, the weight is very light especially with the 1.5 battery vs the 3.0, the torque is excellent for a cordless tool and I use it for chainsaws, snowmobiles, all sorts of power equipment.

If it gave up tomorrow, I would buy another one without blinking.

I've been using a Bosch 12V compact impact for a while to do general screw driving (wood) duties and really like it. I agree with Freehandslabber though and I just bought Bosch's 12V compact drill for a little more control on items where you might strip a threaded hole.

I've got the Porter Cable 18v set, impact driver, 1/2" drill, jigsaw, 6.5" circular saw, light, two batteries, and charger. You can upgrade to li-ion batteries and charger...the tools will use either. I bought it in stages, one set with drill and impact...etc. I didn't expect it to last. I've had most of the tools now for a least a year...no problems.

Last edited:
I use my 19.2v Craftsman impact everyday at work re-furbushing vending machines. Its a tough piece of equipment for sure. I have corkscrewed a few bits with it and dropped it from 5' on to a concrete floor, no problems. I have used it sparingly on the saws. Mostly on stubborn slotted screws on my old poulans. Id be careful tho, as others said you can easily brake a bolt or strip threads.

Milwaukee 18v li-ion for heavy duty impact operations.
Bosch 9.6 li-ion for low torque driver, then hand tighten.

have really been impressed with my Milwaukee 18v li-ion tool set.
consist of 1/2 in hammer drill, impact driver and sawsall
two mondo sized li-ion batteries, enough power for most jobs.

The Ryobie has a built in light,for what it's worth also..
and where can you buy the tool,battery,charger, all for LESS then just a battery of the other brands ??
hey !! your working on chainsaws !! NOT building mansions !!
I'm a contractor and use my ryobie tools on that job and on my saws..
for the price point,cant be beat..
ryobie,18volt,best deal out there.

Latest posts

Back