Cords in 20yd Container

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racerboy832

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Approx how many cords of long length wood would fit in a 20yd dumper? I've seen a few adds recently for tree guys selling green wood in Log length. I'm sure you could fit a bunch more if it was all split and stacked.

Man, your guess would be as good as mine.Size of rounds, how tight it was packed, length of wood sticking out,etc. Guess what I would do is ask if you can take a look at it before you offer them anything for it.

A cord is 128 cubic feet.

20 yards (really, CUBIC yards) is 20 x 27= 540 cubic feet.

540 cubic feet is 4.2 cords. (540 / 128 = 4.2)

No mystery here, folks. If the logs aren't full length, you'll have to redo the math to account for the shortage.

If it's split wood just piled in, you can adjust for the difference. Those numbers have been posted several times lately.

dumpsters

i fill 30 yd. rolloffs cut 2-3 ft. lengths ,dumped in with machine around 6 cord.BILL

So if they advertise 5 cords per 20yrd container it's just not possible. They are log length so unless they are small logs it's hard to get them tight.

So if they advertise 5 cords per 20yrd container it's just not possible. They are log length so unless they are small logs it's hard to get them tight.
if you mean small diameter, it doesn't matter what the diameter is, the bin holds the 20 yds regardless if the diameter of logs is 6" or 16".

Jumbled firewood works out to be about 150 cf, compared to 128 cf stacked tight.

A 20 yard bin should yield about 3.5 cord.

If they are telling you 5 cord they are lying.

It's sounds like the folks around here who will drop off a cord a firewood they hauled in the back of their Ford F150....impossible.

if you mean small diameter, it doesn't matter what the diameter is, the bin holds the 20 yds regardless if the diameter of logs is 6" or 16".

I would prefer a dumpster with less air space and more wood. I think larger diameters get closer to this. However, given ANY diameter log, the solid circle portion occupies 78.5% of the square space dimension of that same log, i.e. 12"x12" square and 12" diameter log. Also, log lengths, once split, will not be able to occupy the space in which the solid log once did.

Back