Corn boiler???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjcard41

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My cousin who is a dairy farmer in northern Wisconsin just went from an outdoor wood boiler to a corn boiler this past year. His old OWB was going on 15 years and he’s not getting any younger and there’s no rest for dairy farmers. He is self sufficient on the farm, so does all of his own field work, mechanical work, milking, cow care...etc. I can definitely see the advantage for him going to a corn burner. We spent a lot of time in the past years bucking wood, so I’m going to miss that. Only thing I don’t like is the smell of burnt popcorn in the air! Haha.
Have any of you come across a corn burner yet or have one installed yourself?

Neighbor has one but seems like other than the first year it only runs on the coldest of days. Not sure he may have a heat pump in the equation. But propane been cheap especially if there left over from drying corn.

Neighbor's son had one for a couple years. Pure disappointment. I don't remember what the problems were. Secret is probably very dry corn. They don't seem to be catching on around here.

My dairy farmer neighbor had one, had nothing but trouble with it, mostly the auger. After a couple years of problems with it, he junked it and went to a wood boiler.

It was a "time" thing for him, they do both corn and also have plenty of woods, but the wood takes a lot more time, so he wanted to use corn...

SR

I know a couple farmers around Northern Illinois that have them. Only issue they complained about is when price of corn is high it doesn't pencil out to burn it. Had some issues with outside auger/hopper if I remember correctly as well, bridging over in extreme cold weather, I believe it was something to do with moisture level, but wasn't paying close attention and that was many, many beers ago!

There was a time around here during the high propane price years mostly corn stoves caught on as there was a company forty miles from were I live was building them. A guy I worked with had a corn boiler he built as his house was a slab with in floor heat. He had a free source of corn for years as he got returned seed corn for free. That source dried up a few years back so I put in a propane boiler for him. Like the others have said the augers and cleaning and the corn has to be run threw a cleaner first or you will have nothing but problems. Don't know any one currently using a corn burner. You will see one for sale now and again.

Back