Correct Pruning?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The attached photos show three trees in my neighborhood that were pruned this past Fall or Winter. (I believe they are water locust, but haven't taken a close look). From what I've read, it seems like they were butchered, but several other trees (pin oaks) in the area have been pruned this way and have done very well. They have a nice shape and haven't developed dead wood. Some seem to have an extreme amount of shoots (lions tail?) at the ends of the branches.

My question is this. Is it acceptable to prune like this if the three looks good with foliage or is this simply to extreme for the good of the tree?

Last edited:
Topping

Topping which is a poor maintenance practice often used to control the size of a tree. it involves the indiscriminate cutting of branches and stems leaving long stubs. There are synonyms that include rounding-over, heading-back, dehorning, capping and hat-racking. it is often improperly referred to as pollarding,which is the annual removal of all the previous years growth,
i would not advise this to do to any tree as the end result will usually not be good in the long run.

I have seen this in my part of the world also. It's a travesty to carve up a tree to make a buck. Not to mention it looks like HAMMERD Crap!:angry2: :bang:

Appearances can be deceiving. Even if you don't see dead wood, that type of pruning causes interior wood to die and decay. The extreme sprouting that you are seeing will be poorly attached, so the tree will be less safe in the long run than if the trees had never been hacked.

http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/topping.aspx

Whoever did that work should either learn their trade or get out of it.:help:

Correct pruning would be only trimming trees during dormancy, and removals the rest of the year?

xtremetrees said:
Correct pruning would be only trimming trees during dormancy, and removals the rest of the year?

Who said that? Makes no sense :dizzy: to me.

Well, sounds like my gut feeling was right. I always thought a tree should look like it grew naturally. I never realized what an exacting science/art it is, but I'm glad to have found resources to do it correctly on this site. Again, I am extremely impressed with the dedication and professionalism I've experienced here. Thanks!

Those trees are fugly. Kindal ike they decided halfway through that maybe they shouldnt remove the whole tree so decided to leave the trunk.

The really crazy thing is
around here
when people see this type of work
some actually think this looks good
and want their trees hacked like that too !

woodchux said:
The really crazy thing is
around here
when people see this type of work
some actually think this looks good
and want their trees hacked like that too !

Yeah that is crazy, still happens but what can we do but make trees look like they should and advertise that look as the safest look possible.

buzz sawyer said:
The attached photos show three trees in my neighborhood that were pruned this past Fall or Winter. (I believe they are water locust, but haven't taken a close look). From what I've read, it seems like they were butchered, but several other trees (pin oaks) in the area have been pruned this way and have done very well. They have a nice shape and haven't developed dead wood. Some seem to have an extreme amount of shoots (lions tail?) at the ends of the branches.

My question is this. Is it acceptable to prune like this if the three looks good with foliage or is this simply to extreme for the good of the tree?
unacceptable practice, tree is deformed and maimed it does not look good and it is extemely unhealthy and could result in the death of the tree. a heinous crime

jmack said:
unacceptable practice, tree is deformed and maimed it does not look good and it is extemely unhealthy and could result in the death of the tree. a heinous crime
Heinous crime, how about not very good treework? How would you describe an axe murder? Calm down, its only trees.

clearance said:
Heinous crime, how about not very good treework? How would you describe an axe murder? Calm down, its only trees.
heinous crime against nature my good spiking pal

clearance said:
oh yeah and that aint treework that is a butcher who is on vacation looking to put a few bills in his pocket

thats just horrible work.it shows the person who did that has no clue what they are doing,and or just plain dont care.
wunder what they will do when new sprouts grow and brake off landing on a child playing under the tree and it kills them.
this is why you only hire a pro arborist to work on trees!!!
sure it cost more than a hacker,fly by night crew,but how much do you value your trees and peoples safty.its just sickning to see this.

Latest posts

Back