Correct Pruning?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
clearance said:
Heinous crime, how about not very good treework? How would you describe an axe murder? Calm down, its only trees.

Much as it pains me to do so, I have to agree with clearance. Keep some perspective, folks!

Interesting this thread came up again. As I drove down the street today, I noticed one tree has shoots coming out all over it. Two others have little growth if any. They still look awful.

One more question. Obviously they should have had attention long before this but since they didn't, what other choices were there short of removing the tree? Any way you look at it, some big wood had to be removed. Or would removal be preferrable so a new, smaller tree could be planted? I know it's difficult to say without seeing the tree beforehand. What would an arborist have recommended?

woodchux said:
I'd have went with crown reduction , with drop crotch pruning

agree,if possible that is.sometimes the wrong type of tree is planted in the wrong location.for sure before that butchure job was done.remove it and plant the correct type of tree.
thats a good way to lose your license in this state.but thats obviouse who ever did that is not an arborist,but a tree cutter,huge difference,and it shows,anyone who agrees or worse,one who does this kind of work does not have the proper trainning and for sure is not a certified arborist.

Homeowners get roped into this type of 'trimming' all the time. Some dude knocks on the door and says they have a crew and will trim the tree for 1/2 price! WOW what a deal! right...

sorry to say it happens very often. I tell people all the time that they killed the tree. It leafs out the next spring and thats about it. These trees dont usually live for very long (many of the species I see are ash, oak, and other trees that are severely harmed by topping).

A lot of people like to pollard the mulberry, crape myrtle and others but this is a different process all together.
here is an interesting article on pollarding:
http://www.mntca.org/Newsletter/newsletters/pollarding.htm
Again, this is a very different thing to do and I dont promote this type of pruning either, but if done yearly, these trees can be kept safe (small) and provide the homeowner with what they are looking for.

Latest posts

Back