Could not believe it !!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris moss

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
A guy in the Richmond VA area had a listing on Craigslist for a stihl 044 chainsaw for $100 , so im assuning it needed to be rebuilt or something major was wrong with it , well i drive a hour (one way ) to meet him. He gets the saw out , and i see that its complete with a 20 in bar and chain on it, its deff seen better days so I go ahead and fire it up and it starts on one pull idles fine oils , sounds great so I give him $100, could not believe i got a running 044 for a $100 , the chainsaw gods were looking down upon me today :)

Attachments

• 0924191054a.jpg
    0924191054a.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 82
  • 0924191054b.jpg
    0924191054b.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 81
  • 0924191054c.jpg
    0924191054c.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 80
Wow!! Wanted one for years but not for the $300-400 people seem to want for them. Bar looks like it still has lots of life, unless the rails are spread and groove isn't very deep.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

A guy in the Richmond VA area had a listing on Craigslist for a stihl 044 chainsaw for $100 , so im assuning it needed to be rebuilt or something major was wrong with it , well i drive a hour (one way ) to meet him. He gets the saw out , and i see that its complete with a 20 in bar and chain on it, its deff seen better days so I go ahead and fire it up and it starts on one pull idles fine oils , sounds great so I give him $100, could not believe i got a running 044 for a $100 , the chainsaw gods were looking down upon me today :)

It will be fun to get to know the saw by giving it a complete cleaning -- I mean really get in there and scrub, repaint and inspect it all. Should clean up real nice and look like a $400 saw when you are all done.

Yeah, have the serial number checked at a dealer.

Is that in some national database? Hell, even doing that at the Sheriff's for a local sale of a firearm is not simple or a quick thing. I am thinking that stolen chainsaws fall far down the priority list, after cars, guns, computers, motorcycles, lawn mowers, cash, TVs, horses, children, and on and on....

Wow!! Wanted one for years but not for the $300-400 people seem to want for them. Bar looks like it still has lots of life, unless the rails are spread and groove isn't very deep.

Yeah the chain looks new and the bar has seen some use, it will need a new one soon , i will see if i cant work it back to life

If someone reports it to police that is. Probably as many go unreported as do.

I don't know my chainsaw's serial numbers. I do my firearms, and somewhere in the filing cabinet is all the docs for my auto. But that is it. Lawn Tractor, Champion Log Splitter (that BTW sits out in the open), dirt bike (also sits out in the open), expensive tools, etc are all generic. Someone wants to steal them, Hahaha. The dog barks at squirrels from the window. Someone attempts to attach the log splitter to the back of their pickup gets a 5.56 in the brain and the gut.

Back