Craigslist Mac cp 125

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw this today and thought someone here might be able to take advantage...It just isn't what I need right now.

Good luck:)

Andy

Andy,
Thanks for the heads up, it's 30 minutes away. I pick it up in the morning!:cheers:

I picked it up this A.M. Great shape, one pull start and runs like a champ.The guy has had it over 30 years and kinda got choked up when handing it over. He had to "hear it run one more time"! I'll try to take some pictures soon. A "Big Thanks" to AndyR for the heads up.

That's cool.

I was, at first, considering going to get it myself. It's about 5-6 hours roundtrip (usually Sh*tty traffic) for me and with the amount of work and expense I'm looking at to get the used milling equipment that I have up and running (Ripsaw and old beater 066), I figured I better let it go.

Glad to hear it worked out. Like I said before, sounds like you are a good home for it.

Pics man! we need pics!

Andy

Whats the difference in sp and a cp? I see you now have both.

I was, at first, considering going to get it myself. It's about 5-6 hours roundtrip (usually Sh*tty traffic) for me and with the amount of work and expense I'm looking at to get the used milling equipment that I have up and running (Ripsaw and old beater 066), I figured I better let it go.

Glad to hear it worked out. Like I said before, sounds like you are a good home for it.

Pics man! we need pics!

Andy

What part of Illinois are you in?

Bill

24d said:
Whats the difference in sp and a cp? I see you now have both.

Larry- The CP-125 is a true 'super series' Mac engine much like the kart engine counterparts except that it has the integral head. The CP 125 engines have a bridged exhaust, steel-sleeved cylinder, and use the horizontal-legged coil that is the same on all the super series kart engines. Some of the CPs had thick-ring pistons, most had thin-rings. The pistons looked very much like a 101 piston with windows and used the 1/2" wrist pin with captured needle roller wrist pin bearings in the piston.

The SP-125 has an open exhaust, some had steel-sleeved cylinders, and a thin-ring piston that used the 9/16" wrist pin with loose needle bearings for the wrist pin held in the small end of the rod. The thinking for this was lateral stability at higher engine speeds. The coil was the diagonal legged coil same as on the 7-10, 10-10, Super Pro 80/81, etc.

The SP-125c had a chrome cylinder from the factory. Same coil and piston set-up.

Mac made up to .030" over pistons for the CP-125 and SP-125 that I know of.

I still have both of the original CP-125 saws that my dad purchased brand new in 1968 with the original receipts for both. One was later hot-rodded by the local Mac dealer (which is actually the same saw shop I now work for part-time) and that saw was eventually bored .030" over and the biggest factory piston fitted.

Last edited:
Jacob J.

Thanks for your response. In short the CP would have a more of a performance motor compared to the sp? How about the frame? I guess either would be a good canidate for a kart motor?

Later,

The frames are the same. I wouldn't necessarily say that one or the other is a better performance motor, it depends highly on what you want to do with them. If you're looking for a hotrod for hotsaws competitions and to wow your friends at get-togethers, then the answer is easy. Don't even bother building up one of the saw motors, just throw a kart engine in your chainsaw chassis.

Now if you want an everyday, solid falling and bucking saw then my choice would actually be the SP-125 or SP-125c. They can rev a little higher and be more dependable. One thing to keep in mind that I didn't mention is that the CP motors usually have a bigger compression chamber, so you'll get slightly less compression than in the SP motors. Some of the early SP motors have a larger CC though. There were a lot of undocumented production changes back then so sometimes you really don't know what you've got until you tear into it.

The CP motor would be a better milling saw, because of the bridged exhaust and large CC. The SPs do fine milling too.

Jacob J.

Thanks, thats alot of good information!

Later,

PS = so sorry, it says I have to spread it around lol!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back