Craigslist score plus

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warjohn

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Checked craigslist yesterday and found a Poulan Pro 295 listed for 30 bucks. Called the guy, he still had it so my son and I hoped in the car and off we go. When we got there the saw looked new. The original chain has never been sharpened. I asked him if it ran he said he didn't try it. He said he hasn't used it for a couple years and he is moving so he wasn't going to buy gas and oil just to start it so he priced it cheap to sell as is. For 30 bucks it came with a case and 3/4 gallon of bar oil. I didn't argue. Now for the plus. My son had sold his MS290 on Saturday for 250 dollars. He has been trying to decide on whether to buy a new dolmar 5100 or a 7900. I told him for the price of a 7900 he could buy a new 5100 then wait for a used 6401 at a home depot but none I have checked with are ready to sell one. He said well why don't we just check a couple. We were 10 minutes from the closest HD so while I headed for it he started calling the others. Keep in mind I checked every HD in the area the week berween christmas and new years and they all said they didn't have any close to ready to sell so I spent the money I had set aside for some other stuff. The first HD he calls has a used 6401 for 215 bucks. This was one of the stores that told me it would be at least a year but at least I will get to use it. When I get a chance I will post pictures so it really happened

Yea, I bought a 295 Pro on Ebay that said "reconditioned" When I got it, it was totally brand new. I still use it to this day and haven't had any troubles yet. You did great, getting yours for 30 bucks though. I think I paid about 124 bucks or so, for mine, but what the heck. It still runs good and cuts fine. All I need to cut a couple cords of wood each winter.:hmm3grin2orange:

Good deal.

I had a similar experience with buying a HD 6401. I'd call and they would tell me March/ June. Call again, and I'd hear begining of Feb, depending on who I talked to. Just have to keep after them and be persistent. I finally talked to the right guy at the right time and got one for $260 out the door. I like your deal better, but I am happy with mine (rented 20 times and like new) - except I haven't gotten to use it yet with all the snow.

Good deal.

I had a similar experience with buying a HD 6401. I'd call and they would tell me March/ June. Call again, and I'd hear begining of Feb, depending on who I talked to. Just have to keep after them and be persistent. I finally talked to the right guy at the right time and got one for $260 out the door. I like your deal better, but I am happy with mine (rented 20 times and like new) - except I haven't gotten to use it yet with all the snow.
You're in for a treat, I got a chance to run mine for a couple hours last saturday.
All I kept thinking was what an angry little saw compared to my 55. I really dont need any more power but I see a BB kit in its future. Lol

I am looking forward to it. I expect it will be similar to my 038 mag, but with better vib and feel. I WILL put a bigger p&c on it, just don't know when or which (79 or BB). I like the idea of more power than my 038 for slightly less weight.

You're in for a treat, I got a chance to run mine for a couple hours last saturday.
All I kept thinking was what an angry little saw compared to my 55. I really dont need any more power but I see a BB kit in its future. Lol

I had to run an errand for work this morning and spotted a monster log which will give the 6401 a good workout. I have permission to go get it but will not have the time until a week from Saturday. He said he would not let anyone have it so hopefully a can post some pics of us cutting it. I am really looking forward to the Mo. GTG.

You had a good day to find those for that $$

The little 295 is not really too bad a saw. Muffler mod it, retune it and drop the bar size down and I think you will be surprised with it.

There are no HD rentals around here that I can find so I'm out of luck with the Makitas....

attachment.php

You had a good day to find those for that $$

The little 295 is not really too bad a saw. Muffler mod it, retune it and drop the bar size down and I think you will be surprised with it.

There are no HD rentals around here that I can find so I'm out of luck with the Makitas....

I plan on a 16" .325 .050 to match my 50cc Jreds so I can use the same chains on all of them. This saw will be the first one I have muffler modded so wish me luck.

Back