Crane falls on house during tree removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the video it looks to me that the crane was not in a good working position boom streched to far out and to much weight on it caused it to flip on its side

That was a big ****** tree. Did they try to take the whole top?!?!?

Probably some cheap ass homeowner that got thirteen bids and went with the cheapest and there is your result. I see it happen around here from time to time. I looked at a job the other day where the HO ended up hiring a company, and believe me when I say I'm using "company" loosely here, we call the masters of disaster. Supposedly the HO is going to rent a crane for these folks to use. No crane experience. None. Stay tuned on that one.

A complacent "pro" is every bit as dangerous as an inexperienced "amateur".
Older experienced workers can get killed just as dead and just as easily as younger newbies.

I see a lot of small time operators that get their crane are far too casual about it - they let all the guys operate it, with limited experience. They also load the crane up way too close to its limits.... that safety factor is there for a reason! All tools are safe when operated correctly by competent operators. When you go outside of that box, the danger increases with the size of the tool.

Shaun

I see a lot of small time operators that get their crane are far too casual about it - they let all the guys operate it, with limited experience. They also load the crane up way too close to its limits.... that safety factor is there for a reason! All tools are safe when operated correctly by competent operators. When you go outside of that box, the danger increases with the size of the tool.

Shaun

I saw this concept at work on a crane job I did. My climber cut a piece, and it wobbled more than he wanted (or the Co wanted). However, because he was being conservative, the weight plus wobble didn't even shake the boom, at least looking at it from 100 ft. away. I can imagine that there could have been trouble if the boom length or weight was significantly greater. There could have been some miscommunication, as I would imagine the better option would have been to stand up the piece more as it was being cut and with a little hinge left; in fact, my climber was cutting in a direction to do that, but the piece slid off without standing up. The crane was also on a 3 -4 ft. stacks of beams to level it

A lot of people have seen this YouTube clip before; just skip to 5:35.

Pruning Oregon's Largest Honey Locust Tree - YouTube

I see these guys all over , they are not amateurs ..... To say that they ####ed up bad is an understatement , there not cheap either , my guess is its not there crane and the company renting it are not tree guys , so the combination of a poor setup , lack of communication almost got a guy killed , from what I understand he jumped almost 15 feet to get the roof and get out of the way of the crane , he's lucky to be alive and only by the grace of god is not in a box , he prolly wasted all nine lives with that cut

A complacent "pro" is every bit as dangerous as an inexperienced "amateur".
Older experienced workers can get killed just as dead and just as easily as younger newbies.

this is so true, my buddy the other day almost severd his hand and he been doing this job forever, I tell him in his head he think he 21 but body and reflexes say other wise

Having only ever done a handful of crane jobs I am completely at the mercy of the CO. Fortunately he has a lot of experience with tree work, and tells me exactly where he wants the sling placed. He is the owner of the crane, and he will drive over to look at the job before the scheduled removal.
Each time we have finished a job, I tell him he is my hero, lol.

It sounds like the tree company missed judged the weight of the piece they were cutting. I always have a green weight card or at lease the file saved on my phone so i can look up the running foot weight.

I'm not 21 either but I try to use my head so I don't have to count on having the reflexes of a 21 year old to keep from getting hurt.

If your buddy almost severed his hand not only was his hand in the wrong place, his head was, too.

I'm not picking on you, just passing along a little bit of wisdom that comes with age.

your right his head probably wasnt, in the right place, but in this business it take a lot more than wisdom

I see these guys all over , they are not amateurs ..... To say that they ####ed up bad is an understatement , there not cheap either , my guess is its not there crane and the company renting it are not tree guys , so the combination of a poor setup , lack of communication almost got a guy killed , from what I understand he jumped almost 15 feet to get the roof and get out of the way of the crane , he's lucky to be alive and only by the grace of god is not in a box , he prolly wasted all nine lives with that cut

Eddie, you go and finish the job off?;)

Latest posts

Back