Craning some biggies today1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knew you'd like the tulips, Dan!

MB, I wish I only worked 4-6 hrs a day...wanna trade?!

the variety I do not know. please enlighten us.

By the way, fantastic photography, as usual. Thanks for sharing!

Har har...Ok no more flowers..

Actually, I know there's lots of impressive old trees back east...like 170 foot monster tulip poplar....oak, elm, beech, etc. I'd rather prune them than a big doug fir any day....and removals are usually more technical as well.

There's plenty of challenge most anywhere.

Talking about 170 foot tulips, I just went on a Rec. climb saturday in N. GA and saw some of the biggest tulips I've ever seen. Nearly as big as some in Joyce Kilmer Nat. Forest. Don't get to see deeply furrowed mature bark like that often. Got to climb in a white oak that was probably 135'+ with first branch @ 65'. Film crew was there filming a documentary on Rec. tree climbing. Lots of white pines in the area at least 150'. One climber in party reached 150' + in a pine and wisely decided not to go higher. View was great and a great day overall.

Right on Bradley!

Rumination, sorry, but this is a Mt. Fuji....white flowers with hint of pink..and spreading...mine are the most upright of the flowering cherries and are light pink....

attachment.php

Ya, tires, thats a good one. We'd a brought her down, NO CRANE NO PROBLEM, ben doing those all my life, I could go do one tomorrow not even speak One word and next thing be roping the stem. maybe some one could ask a smart question about tree removal. When is somebody gonna realize that Ive done the worst of the worst, the nastiest, deadest, fatest, tallest dirtyest trees this province has to offer. I've done trees over multi millionaire homes, pure glass enclosures, high tenstion hydro, trees with spreads over three back yards, entire yards of garden. Two years ago we removed awhat I think I remembner being a chestnut 3 feet diameter 65 feet tall betweent two small rental buildings in the driveway between the two buildings. The alley was so tight you had to pull the mirrors in on a pickup. Thier were 15-20 flimsy phone lines tacked to and running all across the alley. Two ropes two saws 5 hours and it was down cleaned up and I was going home. NO CRANE involved. Some people seem to think that I got some thing against a crane for loading wood? Not if the wood is on the ground. Its about time that you know that you can't show me a spot and say what would you do here because ive friggin been there countless times already. Whether you like it or not my father is one of the ELITE the few and far between, Hes one of the few guys that tree men will talk about fifty years from now when they count the few greats, the best of the best, the men who are fearless and wise, intellegent, and slick, not fast at climbing but fluent like second nature. If only you could see for your self the lack of discussion or thought put into some hairy situations because the appropriate response is bred into him, like a natural. Most climbers can only dream of such a level and others have equalled or surpassed him. But few others. See, with me, there are signs in life that are subtle but are loud, that tell others what your made of and what you know, and questions and answers that are about one thing and high light a persons positives or negatives towards other things, more important things.

I have one question to the person that commented about using a "large" saw for pruning? 036 large?
How does the tree know the difference about what motor is turning the chain????

TC, why don't you walk us through how you would have gone about this job. You can call it "A Day in the Life of TC." Better yet, post some shots of a job of this magnitude rather than saying "we've been doing trees like that for 30 years." So you were "doing trees" when you were -6 years old? Amazing!

I'll show lots of pics .tonnes. I just got the digital and havn't had it every minute or very long. I could walk you through the tree. I don't know the size of the limbs but we don't have firs in ontario but my father would have .spurr up with belt around cutting lower branches most way through on way up then break of branch by hand and throw down with arcuracy like normall . tie in aroung base,if not already done, move life line up along with self removing branches along the way when he reaches a point in the top where its safe and not to heavy for rope, and drop crotch top. lower down and cut away branches as top gets within reach and cut until it can be set on the path. Drop crotcxh the rest down as about three foot blocks. As blocks come down thier moved with a dolly cart or cut and moved before to acomidate the rest. Good man on rope letting blocks come off and fly7 straight down without slowing them till close to bottom for speed stop the blocks above the ground and pull them over to patch as there being let down the last few feet. When down to last couple of feet of wood use limb wood to protect pavement and drop blocks on wood move exsess wood for solid and pradictable landing of next block.

I would like to know if TC and company uses any kind of lowering device or do you just take some wraps around another tree, or just hand hold the rope with no wraps.

Actaully, Craig, the awful news is that the fir is probably going to have to come down. Scott Baker, the best consultant around, is helping the client decide... We'll probably have them dismantle the wrought iron fence, tear out the landscape, put a bull rope in the tree and then fall it into the green belt with its favor. I could probably lower out all the branches and dump the wood, but that would be a lot harder. The tree likely would scale out at 6000-8000 bf...if it could be extracted..but it is rotting anyhow.

Now if there was a house on the other side, the only safe way to do the tree would be to cut each round into little pieces and drop them.. which would take a week or so. You'd be standing on top of the tree, lanyarded in around the stem, ripping and ripping and ripping...--that's the way i did the 15 feet of dead rotting top 16 months ago, for $1000...except for the standing on top part.

Last edited:
Koa man, he use the term drop crotch. Applying to lowering trunk wood with no hardware, the only way I know is to physically cut a channel for the rope to run in...very tedious and time consuming, especially in big wood, and a rope eater..just like wraps around the tree.

Three foot sections of the big fir that was part of the original thread subject would weigh 500-1200 lb. That would glaze any line instantly if used in such an ancient fashion.

It is a huge disappointment when a person turns a thread like this into a flame war. For the guys like me that only get a much shorter 100 footer maybe once a year, this thread is a real treat. Roger is well respected even by those of us that have not met him in person. He was nice enough to share his work with us just to have his thread taken over and trashed.

If someone wants to feel a little better about themselves by snagging some of the spotlight they should ADD to the thread, not try to take away from what others have posted. Not only is Roger teaching us about big tree removal and photography he is teaching us about being a better person by example.

Trees Company, show a little respect for the others here. Most have earned it. Just because you have not worked with them and they are represented here only by their posts does not mean they are not worthy of your respect.

Alright! Just got the scale ticket..The three trees-- 9 logs scaled out at 4570 bf, 400 or so less than my high guess--and 3670 net after defect. Two logs were called pulp and that gross 760 board feet paid a whole $10.00. But the best log came in at the highest export sort!!! It was 890 board feet gross, 860 net, and paid $606.00. (It's been a long time since I got such a high grade..and on a 26 foot log no less, they prefer 30-40.) Then they measured the butt log at 30 inches, when I was sure it was 32, but no worries --that's only 90 bf less..it was pretty ugly at the butt, and still netted 570 bf= about $260.00. Six logs came in at the top domestic sort, with less defect deductions than I feared. So assuming the trucker charged $300, we'll have $500 in additional profit above the crane fees, some of which I'll have to pass on to the first customer. So, figure our take at about $3200, not bad. My costs were $300 to the other tree service i called in a rush when one of my guys failed to show, and about $450-500 in labor. A short half day to brush most of the two out, 2 hours to finish brushing the next day, and 6 hours on crane day.:blob2: :blob4:

Originally posted by Tim Gardner

If someone wants to feel a little better about themselves by snagging some of the spotlight they should ADD to the thread, not try to take away from what others have posted. Not only is Roger teaching us about big tree removal and photography he is teaching us about being a better person by example.

Thanks Tim, He may be a troll, or he could just be some uneducated kid who worships his pappy.

While we deside what to do, how about everyone ignoring him when he gests stupid. Maybe he will wise up, or go away.

So what if he thinks he could do it better with pappy in the tree. We know he does not understand what he is talking about. PNW sized trees in Toronto? is that true Rob??

Deleting a buch of posts from a big thread is a PITA.:rolleyes:

Back