Crappy Stihl Cylinder - Looks like ChiCom Garbage!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grand good post. Would you guys give Brad a new cylinder seeing that one is obviously not very good even though its not his cylinder? After you answer I got another question for ya..
Howdy,
It is a little different for us because we're not manufactures. I can only comment on the part as a stand alone. We would do the replacement as a defective part rather than a warranty. It would be done through the original purchaser but, we would send it to the agent of the customers choice.
Regards
Gregg

Grand good post. Would you guys give Brad a new cylinder seeing that one is obviously not very good even though its not his cylinder? After you answer I got another question for ya..

You always have these questions you want everybody to answer but I see when you're asked a tough question, you choose to ignore it.

How about answering my below question? I'm stihl waiting for your reply.

So are you alright with that degradation in quality, as long as the mighty Stihl saws stihl run "fine"? :popcorn:

A rush to judgment! Firesale on Stihls?

Well, well! Stihl is done. Put a fork in her. Quality shot. No one is going to buy a Stihl. A few posters are going to unload.

I know ....... I'll go over to the Tradin' Post and pick up a bargain Stihl during this frenzy.

OK. Click ....... click .......... OK ..... pick that .... let's see here.

1) An old Stihl 021. Chain not sharp ... about shot. $175 plus shipping! What did it cost new? OK, xrem20 didn't get the news yet.

2) Stihl 090. Hot dam. Oops .... compression of 125. Oh, ten bens for this old monster. fourfortyfive isn't running scared either.

3) Stihl MS-460. Now we're talkin'. Oops ..... a basket case that needs a cylinder, piston and carb. OK ... a bargain at $300? Sunrise guy didn't get the memo either. Gee, and all those new replacement cylinders will be junk I guess.

4) Stihl 034. $275 in nice shape. Looks like Madman is getting shakey kness, this is a good price.

5) Stihl 038 AV Magnum 2. Best offer. Well, good luck guff, but I think the train just left the station.

Help now, we gotta move these shoddy Stihls,

Joat

Hey Tommie, while we wait for Greg.... I got a quick question for ya.

Had a logger come in a little while back with a 660 wouldn't run right.

Turns out the plating had come off just below the exhaust port and scored the piston and cylinder pretty good.

Man told me he has been running Stihl for 30 years and never had a single major failure.... said he's had 4 go down in the last year ALL were cylinder related.

Just wondering... what would you tell this customer about that cylinder Brad just posted??

I would tell your customer how did you knock that plating off,LOL I would tell him man I saw a cylinder on AS that looked like hell but it was a Husky cylinder,LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Fact is Eric in the last year Stihl and every other manufacture have had plenty of cylinders go down. I've seen fried Huskys come in my door, Echo's, and even one Dolmar. They have to leave the factory running lean to meet EPA requirements and topping that from all the water I've seen in fuel lately from ethenol that doesn't help either. Any saw sold out the box and out the door not adjusted is running on the edge to meet EPA, thats fact and thats the way it is and thats the way its gonna stay. Note what your man said, all in the last year or but none in almost 30 years. Things have changed my man and its not just the saws but the rules they have to meet to be sold in the USA.

Far as Brads cylinder I would like to have it. I'd put it on one of my 260's and run it. I'm not worried about all those things he pointed out, I can't see all those things when the saw is running, my interest is like most, how it runs and how long it runs,:cheers::cheers:

Far as Brads cylinder I would like to have it. I'd put it on one of my 260's and run it. I'm not worried about all those things he pointed out, I can't see all those things when the saw is running, my interest is like most, how it runs and how long it runs,:cheers::cheers:
Tommy, I expected more out of you than that.

You always have these questions you want everybody to answer but I see when you're asked a tough question, you choose to ignore it.

How about answering my below question? I'm stihl waiting for your reply.

Well cuse me Fast, how dare me not see your question. Fast if it runs fine what is the problem. How it looks and how it runs is really a matter of opinion. To be quite honest that cylinder is 100% perfect for a man thats going to mod it. Course now you see a lack of quailty, of course you do. That said can you post some pics of the cylinders on your machines, I mean there may be a lack of quality in there you don't know about, I'm sure I'll be able to spot some for ya,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

The saw was bought brand new on 12-26-08 in Eureka MO. Hopefully my dealer will help me out even though it wasn't bought there or by me. I do have a great relationship with them and have bought thousands of dollars of parts there.

Brad,

I left this low hanging fruit post long enough. I'm going to grab it now. You have a saw that you didn't purchase, was purchased four states away, and you're taking it to your dealer with an obvious expectation of some gratification. This is incredible and in my mind speaks volumes for Stihl, their dealers, their policies and their practices.

Joat

Last edited:
I would tell your customer how did you knock that plating off,LOL I would tell him man I saw a cylinder on AS that looked like hell but it was a Husky cylinder,LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Fact is Eric in the last year Stihl and every other manufacture have had plenty of cylinders go down. I've seen fried Huskys come in my door, Echo's, and even one Dolmar. They have to leave the factory running lean to meet EPA requirements and topping that from all the water I've seen in fuel lately from ethenol that doesn't help either. Any saw sold out the box and out the door not adjusted is running on the edge to meet EPA, thats fact and thats the way it is and thats the way its gonna stay. Note what your man said, all in the last year or but none in almost 30 years. Things have changed my man and its not just the saws but the rules they have to meet to be sold in the USA.

Tommie, Tommie.... man runs Avgas so no alky, no water, and no stale fuel and I can assure you that no saw leaves my hands "factory lean" so long as it has a H needle.

But you are right about one thing, times have indeed changed. ;)

And you're right about another thing.... it is my name and rep that is on the line when I sell or repair a saw.... that’s why I call'em like I see'm regardless of who’s name is on the box. :cheers:

Brad,

I left this low hanging fruit post long enough. I'm going to grab it now. You have a saw that you didn't purchase, was purchased four states away, and you're taking it to your dealer with an obvious expectation of some gratification. This is incredible and in my mind speaks volumns for Stihl, their dealers, their policies and their practices.

Joat

Joat, Joat.....You man of Stihl. Your right about Brad's dealer if in fact he does anything. That's a heck of a dealer (Kinda like Tommy!) Got to agree with Tom about new saws being on the edge for epa out of the box. That's not gonna change and if the purchaser is not familiar with tuning, there's a very real possibility of a short lived cyl/piston/rings. That goes for all brands. :cheers:

Last edited:
~snip~

Well, well! Stihl is done. Put a fork in her. Quality shot. No one is going to buy a Stihl. A few posters are going to unload.

I know ....... I'll go over to the Tradin' Post and pick up a bargain Stihl during this frenzy.

Yikes.

How do I tell if this'uns any count, without ripping her apart?

The visible cooling fins look okay and are there, mostly.

attachment.php
attachment.php

~snip~

Yikes.

How do I tell if this'uns any count, without ripping her apart?

The visible cooling fins look okay and are there, mostly.

attachment.php
attachment.php

PAP,

Yep, it's junk. Sorry........... ya know ..... I'll give ya $300 for it because I like ya and don't want you to have to deal with a crappy cylinder.

Cash, credit card or paypal?

Joat

Howdy,
It is a little different for us because we're not manufactures. I can only comment on the part as a stand alone. We would do the replacement as a defective part rather than a warranty. It would be done through the original purchaser but, we would send it to the agent of the customers choice.
Regards
Gregg

Makes sense to me, I would not hesitate a second to replace it either providing it was brought in by the man who bought it complaining about the saw. If I found that under the hood and determind that is the problem I would make a call and all would be done. If its brought in torn apart for the purpose of modding by a second party no can do.

Last question for ya. Hows power equipment sales out there???

PAP,

Yep, it's junk. Sorry........... ya know ..... I'll give ya $300 for it because I like ya and don't want you to have to deal with a crappy cylinder.

Cash, credit card or paypal?

Joat

I'll go $500.......

Thanks fellas.

You know, I don't feel right sell'n it too you this way. Haven't run it, so it just wouldn't be fair to sell an untested saw.

Sure would hate to let her go and have y'all disappointed and stuff.

I appreciate your sincere offers of helpfulness. Top notch folks here on AS!

Back