Crappy Stihl Cylinder - Looks like ChiCom Garbage!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How would that matter? Stihl is selling 260s for $500, which is more than Husky/Jred/Dolmar/etc. sell their 50 cc saws for. And the 260 is significantly outperformed by all others in that class.

The expectation of the consumer is that they are paying more for quality. Stihl is even labeling it as 'professional-grade.'

I would submit that, if this is indicative of the quality they are getting...they are getting robbed.

So funny, I can kill this post dead with two words, TWIN I-BEAM. How come you avoid those two words like cancer Woodie, I'm all ears....

Thanks fellas.

You know, I don't feel right sell'n it too you this way. Haven't run it, so it just wouldn't be fair to sell an untested saw.

Sure would hate to let her go and have y'all disappointed and stuff.

I appreciate your sincere offers of helpfulness. Top notch folks here on AS!

I'd hate for that 660 to sit at your place with a bad cylinder and all, I mean, it really won't be a problem for me to send a few bills and have it taken care of. $650? Whatcha say??? I'll go ahead and order another cylinder so you will know it's in good hands.:D:D:D

~snip~

Yikes.

How do I tell if this'uns any count, without ripping her apart?

The visible cooling fins look okay and are there, mostly.

Plumber, I'd be willing to bet ya a cool benny that if you pull that jug you will find this.
attachment.php

And some less than desirable casting.

if thats the case they're going down anyway.... Might as well take the high road and go out with some integrity.

Anybody remember the days when macculloch, homelite, and poulan ruled the roost????

What ever happened to that????

There's a lesson there that stihl would be wise to learn.

Nobody ever bought a stihl saw because it was cheap. ;)
+1

No, because I have faith in my food suppliers. If, however, I had a report of my food supplier spitting in hamburgers, you can bet your arse they wouldn't be my food supplier any more. Can you tell me why?

Well Space I'm sure the guy behind the counter spitting in peoples food is calling the newspaper and telling them what he's doing, oh my, this is too funny. Space when you get that report please share with us so we can aviod "the spitter",:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Plumber, I'd be willing to bet ya a cool benny that if you pull that jug you will find this.
attachment.php

And some less than desirable casting.

The possibility of that does stink.

Was interested in a 660 for a good while and ended up having the "opportunity" to get this one.

She's been on the shelf for a few months.

I'm guess'n I'd never run into problems as a "Joe Shmoe Woodcutter/part time logger wannabe."

One of these days I may get enough guts to tear her apart. In the meantime, planning on trying to live with the hope that she's alright.

It didn't for me, but other people had their transmission spontaneously lock up at highway speeds. It was a really small defect too.

Yup, looks won't get ya a new/reman transmission, has to affect performance...

Ahh.... the 2nd gear oil jet recall. Only a very few transmissions actually got replaced under the recall. The problem only occurred when on flat ground at high speed for a very long time.

I understand your point, and agree about the warranty period. There are plenty of smart people at Stihl and I'd think they've crunched the numbers to assesss the warranty risk in moving production of these parts. But, when a process is uncontrolled and defects are allowed to exist, that is manufacturing culture and problems will most certainly arise from such a culture. I guess we will see!

Known defects are not allowed to exist in the auto industry. If they are at all significant, they become recalls. That cylinder has some machining irregularities. My accord trans had some machining irregularities and I got a new one out of warranty. I didn't even have to take it apart myself:cheers:

You are joking right?

No what you're looking at is the plating not going to the top of the cylinder.

Would you suggest getting an OEM cylinder as a backup?

Man, I would hate to drop that kind of dough for a just in case part.

If it was torn down, is there a chance Stihl would swap it out? Especially if it was never ran?

Finally, does it really matter that the plating doesn't go to the top? Surely the piston doesn't get that close to top.

If I pay a premium price I expect a premium product. I'm sure that the saw looked fine on the outside but that cylinder is far from premium. I'm sure that it will run and probably run for a long time but you won't get maximum performance with those ports.

Maximum performance, longevity and handling is what pro saws are all about. If you have only two out of the three you don't have much.

I bought a set of AFR small block Ford heads and paid a premium for them but I got a premium product. If they looked half as bad as that Stihl cylinder I would have been fit to be tied.

What else can be hidden that you can't see from the outside? Just because a customer may never see the defects doesn't mean that it's ok for them to be there.

It looks as though Stihl is dropping the ball for the sake of cost and profit. I'm sure that they're not the only ones doing that and I'm not just talking about chain saws either.

Last edited:

If it was torn down, is there a chance Stihl would swap it out? Especially if it was never ran?

Finally, does it really matter that the plating doesn't go to the top? Surely the piston doesn't get that close to top.

If you are interested, I've got a few OEM cylinders that are fixable. No chips, just need to have the transfer cleaned off.

Yours for the asking.

So funny, I can kill this post dead with two words, TWIN I-BEAM. How come you avoid those two words like cancer Woodie, I'm all ears....

You're attempting to 'kill the post dead' by changing the subject?

I guess I'm with Space here...I expected more from you, Tommy...

Plumber, I wouldn't really recommend doing anything, just run it... it will likely be fine.

If you order a new cylinder it will look just like that one, it is how Stihl is manufacturing them now. Stihl is doing some "in house" cylinder manufacturing and choose to cut a few corners to make them more "cost effective" (read cheaper) may or may not ever cause you a problem.

Kinda gives you a warm fuzzy feeling though doesn’t it. Now aren’t you glad you paid the top dollar for Stihl quality??

That’s what I’m talking about Stihl needs to wise up and get back to what put them on top.

For the record my stock 660 is running that same type cylinder and I have no plans to change it….. of course I have an old style Mahale cylinder laying in waiting. :cheers:

Back