Crappy tach seized my mom's saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pulled the muffler and it isn't seized but will not rotate past TDC. There were some ferrous nail clippings on top of the piston I can only assume ring fragments. The cylinder wall has a spider Web pattern on it. This saw doesn't seem worth a cylinder replacement to me being a glorified Poulan but what the heck do I know. Thanks for the info everyone you folks are a source of knowledge and inspiration

Probably not the tach that caused the issue.
If the skirt on the piston does is not scored up and down kinda sounds like maybe a piece of carbon caught the edge of the ring at the muffler port and broke the ring. Wonder if a small magnet or low pressure air.
A broken ring should be visible in the ring groove.

$200 saw vs fix or replace. Being family probably best to replace????

Piston and jug $50 at least (and your time involved) and might have carb or something else that would cause the issue to re-develop after installing new parts.
If you had another 235 you would have some spare parts.

Your mom may not get you a xmas present this year. Too bad is was not your bro in laws saw.;)

Well I pulled the cylinder and everything looks fine and the ring is intact. Not sure where the metal came from. A shop looked at it before me and said it wasn't worth fixing and advised buying a new saw. Perhaps they accidentally dropped something in there? I guess I will put it back together and see how it goes.

Pull cord assembly. Did you try turning the crankshaft after you pulled the cylinder?

Check the crank bearings. I've seen the cage come loose on those. I've also seen a small baffle come lose in the muffler and fall into the cylinder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Trying to tune a saw with a tach if the saw has a limited coil is a bit like playing Russian roulette,is it 4 stroking or the rev limiter kicking in, If you have the knowledge do it by ear.

Well I pulled the cylinder and everything looks fine and the ring is intact. Not sure where the metal came from. A shop looked at it before me and said it wasn't worth fixing and advised buying a new saw. Perhaps they accidentally dropped something in there? I guess I will put it back together and see how it goes.

Can you post a picture of the metal you found?

I'm wondering if the shop that looked at the saw was trying to make a new sale.

Latest posts

Back