Criss-crossed vs. Parellel Stacked Wood Piles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozzie

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I stacked all of my wood criss-cross, i.e. alternated direction with each row. Thought I had 6-7 cord. Now, after burning for a month, I don't think I have as much wood as I thought. Any idea as to how much difference there is in actual wood when stacked one way versus the other? All stacked as 4x4x8 just so I can track usage, but I may have hosed myself. My estimate is about 2/3 less wood when criss-crossed.

Well, you've prolly generated a lot of airspace since the above row would be spanning the valleys created in the row below instead if filling in (i.e. you have loosely stacked instead of tightly stacked). So your estimate *may* not be too far off if by 2/3rds less, you actually mean that your criss cross pile contains 2/3rds the amount of wood as a same dimensional stack of tight pack.

Calculations of cubic feet in a cord are based on tightly stacked wood, all the same direction.

Criscross stacking is great if you are trying to accelerate drying/seasoning the wood, but thats about it.

I wood guess more like half. My brother had what looks like 5 cords out back here, all stacked criss-cross for good drying. I have motored though about a half cord in the volume where a parallel stacked cord would be. You can stack a cord a heck of a lot tighter parallel than you can criss-cross.

Thanks For Your Replies

On the bright side, the wood has seasoned really well! I;ll continue to stack this way since space around the lot is not an issue. I'll just plan on more wood. I do have two additional cord of soft maple from early July that may be OK by late winter. I'd planned on those for next year, along with what I'm currently cutting.

I do have two additional cord of soft maple from early July that may be OK by late winter.

If this has been bucked and split since July, you'll be fine to burn it this year. I have two cords of soft maple from July that I bucked (about 14"-24" rounds) and didn't split until last week. I didn't find anything higher than 28% when I split it, and this was all uncovered and stored under a 100% shaded area. If you cut and split yours in July, I'm sure it will be fine to burn this season.

I stacked all of my wood criss-cross, i.e. alternated direction with each row. Thought I had 6-7 cord. Now, after burning for a month, I don't think I have as much wood as I thought. Any idea as to how much difference there is in actual wood when stacked one way versus the other? All stacked as 4x4x8 just so I can track usage, but I may have hosed myself. My estimate is about 2/3 less wood when criss-crossed.
That's not correct. You lose 1/3rd on the average by cross-cross stacking everything, not 2/3 less. I only do this on the ends so that prop stakes are not required. If the pile is really long, I may do it in the center. Yes, it will dry faster, but air does not burn without fuel.

Back