Critique this stump.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my take is that they tried a conventional face cut, but with a bit of a dutchman, then came in the back with a sloping back cut.
hmm tree not leaning, not falling, lets cut some more then.
then bore cut, taking out the hinge from both sides, and finally a bird landed in the top of the tree and it fell over due to the energy imparted from the hot landing of the bird into the canopy :)
I'll vote for the bird in the canopy part. lmao :cool: OT

I have seen that before... it's kind of an old urban (rural?) Myth that a sloping back cut like that will prevent a tree from going backwards... obviously not supported by physics or geometry. Aside from this false concept, you can see that the other disadvantage is how difficult it is to match your cuts, hence the bore cut and the tearout in the center. If the OP was wondering if this was some new technique he should learn, the answer would definitely be NO.
I read "a sloping back cut like that will prevent a tree from going backwards" and was about to say "obviously not supported by physics or geometry" - when I see it's already been said.

I will now, however, endlessly wonder where the idea came from in the first place...

I recently did some milling for a guy that was making stumps kinda like that, using the dullest ms180 I've ever seen, (I'll check to see if I still have pics of his stumps) I told him that I'd like to cut the trees down for him..... I was worried he'd kill himself, and I wouldn't get paid for sawing the lumber! Lol

I have a neighbor like that. I refuse to attend when he is felling trees. Hinge is not in his vocabulary
So a friend bought some property and he’s having it cleared to build a house. He invited me over to cut up some tops for firewood. I am not a professional but what in the world is going on with this stump? Is this some new tree falling cut that I don’t know about? It looks to me like it has that steep leaning back cut which is totally wrong. Also looks like a bore cut in the center. I’m not seeing any hinge wood anywhere.what is going on here?????

A lot of critics but what was the 1st cut. As I said earlier, everybody has a plan. Then ----happens.
Not that it makes any difference in my opinion, the first cut appears to be the down angle cut in the face. This was followed by the bottom face cut, then the angled back cut, then the bore with a pivoting forward cut. Look at the stump behind it; it appears to have been cut without a bore.

Ron

Very interesting article. Not a technique I would attempt but interesting to say the least.
Not impressed. Anytime anyone makes an angled backcut it signals poor technique, an absence of understanding of best saw ops.

Also, the guy makes his felling cuts way too close to the ground, down on his knee at one point. Which means that if anything goes awry getting up off that knee to escape is slow and awkward. Always best to make felling cuts at a comfortable height and remove stump later (if necessary).

Not impressed. Anytime anyone makes an angled backcut it signals poor technique, an absence of understanding of best saw ops.

Also, the guy makes his felling cuts way too close to the ground, down on his knee at one point. Which means that if anything goes awry getting up off that knee to escape is slow and awkward. Always best to make felling cuts at a comfortable height and remove stump later (if necessary).
I've had people ask why I cut at a height I could do standing - because they thought it was a waste of time to have to do another cut. These people are rarely people who have ever had to flee on short notice...

i would just use a Vancouver cut.

Latest posts

Back