Curious, how much do you really know?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much do you know about saws?

• I can Port and polish with the best of them, nothing is off limits!

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I can gut a saw from stem to stern, muff mod, rebuild from the ground up, you bet!

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • I fix general stuff, fuel & chains, ocassionally tackle tuff stuff?

Votes: 44 32.8%
  • I can sharpen a chain, put in gas and oil and would like to fix things when they break.

Votes: 11 8.2%
  • My saws are never broke, the shop keeps them running good!!

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • What is a chainsaw?

Votes: 10 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i haven't split a case and pulled the crank or taken a carb completely apart......i've tried my luck with woods porting a few and like the thrill of putting it back together and seeing how well (or not) i have done. i need to learn more about degreeing since i am playing more with porting.

:agree2::givebeer::givebeer:

I have ported a few, some good, some not so much but I can tear one down to basics and fix what ails whatever it might be. Working on saws is my hobby, cutting firewood and entering a few small time timbersports events is just icing on the cake.

It appears that I seem to know a lot more about buying them than fixing them. I tore down a Poulan 3400 5 months ago and I have yet to get motivated to put it back together. However, I have bought three more of them so I am covered.....

Got an old Cub Cadet 2072 going today and will tackle my John Deere 317 tomorrow.

I am a Chainsaw GOD!!!!! Worship me NOW!!!!!!!!!

We comprise the "Fraternity"......

So many here baste their egos with me in the "CIRCLE"....

But all here consider me a "JERK"....

We all should retire, let some new kids take the helm, let's watch some
Matlock, since our knowledge is outdated and worthless........

Unless they are working on an 028 or something......

Or their first rebuild of an EZ....3 years back.....

Fisher. this comes in under the heading of " I'm always right and I never lie!!!" which is of course my favorite saying!!

Really we are all here to either learn something or teach something or both!! Super site for both since no one I know is the ultimate expert of all aspects of all chainsaws!!:cheers:

Chainsaws, don't they just plug in? Is ripping the ground post off the plug considered a mod? ;)

I love it!

I really enjoy reading learning and seeing all the old saws fixed and given new life!!!!!the old ones have lines like an old truck its nice to see the pics of the restores in progress i can take them apert great getting them back together and running perfect ehhhhh not so much LOL soon i hope!:biggrinbounce2:

I picked the "general stuff" category, because I don't tear saws all the way down. But I've done some muff mods with good results, which was included in the slightly more knowledgeable category, and I wouldn't hesititate a jot or a tittle to tear a saw down to the basic building blocks and reassemble it if I felt like it.

Mostly, I just cut and am religious about routine maintenance and filter cleaning.

i know more today than i did yesterday but probably not as much as ill know tommorrow:newbie:

Got an Eager Beaver I tore down a couple of months ago.
Anybody wanna volunteer to come over and help me put it back together?
Steve W.:cheers:

"slick" Fish, really "slick". :ices_rofl::biggrinbounce2:

I've been around internal combustion engines for more than 40 years. I bought a Homeowner Husky 450 to do my firewood cutting and tree trimming. Although I had used chainsaws in the past, I didn't know squat about them.

Two days into the warranty, I had to find out how the damn thing worked and started ripping it apart.

The first chain I sharpened I put the roller guide on backwards on one side of the chain and spent another hour just cleaning up the angles on the chain.

With the information available on this site, it took me about a year to end up with a fully ported, larger carburetor, muffler modded, crankcase stuffed higher compression version of a 450. Now I am playing with various mods to the chain.

Edit: The saw still has 7 months of warranty left to run......

Give me another couple of years and I might end up racing one of these little buggers.

Last edited:
Give me another couple of years and I might end up racing one of these little buggers.

Or playing with blunt plastic toys in a room with padded walls. Some days it's hard to tell if the AS lunatics are running the asylum. CAD should be a documented medical condition demanding high doses of painkilling medication. :D :D

I won`t answer a question unless i`m fairly certain of the answer.

I never look at somebodies reputation or post count when i`m looking for information, I didn`t even notice all those gren dots I had till a couple days ago :D

Back