Current picts of wood cutting and weather conditions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually got a day out to excercise the 046 Mag before old man winter dumped another 2.5' of snow on us.

AllenVMcCloskeyII

AllenVMcCloskeyII

Real nice picts Steve, I like your Chevy back board, the dolmars did their stuff and so did you by the looks of things, that type of snow is a little impediment underfoot but at least its not 2-3' deep.Got yourself a fine woodpile for next seasons burning and contains all the best of burning woods.
Pioneerguy600

Actually got a day out to excercise the 046 Mag before old man winter dumped another 2.5' of snow on us.

AllenVMcCloskeyII

AllenVMcCloskeyII

Good boxful of wood there,I like to take my 044`s and 046 out for a spin sometimes but usually wait until I am cutting 20-30" hardwood. The smaller 036PRO gets the nod much more often now on stuff under 20". I hear you also on the deep snow issue, don`t like cutting in deep snow or new snow for that matter until the snow has a chance to fall from the trees, hate snow falling on me from trees I am felling.
Pioneerguy600

Good boxful of wood there,I like to take my 044`s and 046 out for a spin sometimes but usually wait until I am cutting 20-30" hardwood. The smaller 036PRO gets the nod much more often now on stuff under 20". I hear you also on the deep snow issue, don`t like cutting in deep snow or new snow for that matter until the snow has a chance to fall from the trees, hate snow falling on me from trees I am felling.
Pioneerguy600

yeah, I don't usually like hossing the big boys on this small stuff, but it'd been a while since she saw some action. Gotta keep 'em fresh!

Besides, I had planned on getting into some 36" poplar that day, but couldn't resist the locust that were down/dead in the air. Those big boys will be waiting for me after the thaw!

Went back after that oak this AM, got it on the ground and bucked up, but the tractor battery was dead again, found the culprit though, a broken wire at the alternator. I decided to head back to the house, put the battery on the charger, go get a new ring terminal at the local country store, and put some pics up.

First, the weather report, shot of the thermometer and some pics of mother nature's decorations, nice coating of hoarfrost this morning:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

As soon as I started cutting the notch, I knew I had some issues. I hit a hollow spot almost immediately. Most of the good wood was on the right side of the tree, and it pulled that way some when it dropped, but it came down clean anyway. It didn't take long to buck it up with the 7300 and a bit of limbing with the 5100. There's gonna be some rotted stuff at the bottom that will go into the bonfire pile.

attachment.php

attachment.php

That's all for right now, I'll be back with some finale pictures later.

Went back after that oak this AM, got it on the ground and bucked up, but the tractor battery was dead again, found the culprit though, a broken wire at the alternator. I decided to head back to the house, put the battery on the charger, go get a new ring terminal at the local country store, and put some pics up.

First, the weather report, shot of the thermometer and some pics of mother nature's decorations, nice coating of hoarfrost this morning:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

As soon as I started cutting the notch, I knew I had some issues. I hit a hollow spot almost immediately. Most of the good wood was on the right side of the tree, and it pulled that way some when it dropped, but it came down clean anyway. It didn't take long to buck it up with the 7300 and a bit of limbing with the 5100. There's gonna be some rotted stuff at the bottom that will go into the bonfire pile.

I see you got back to get the oak, you might loose a couple blocks off the butt, still plenty of good firewood above the rot though. Heavy coat of hoar frost on the trees but with that temp it would still be a nice day to be in the woods.
Pioneerguy600

Nice saws. And nothing wrong with that truck, we drive a regular cab toyota most of the time cause it gets better mileage and is easier to get around

Thanks. I really like this truck. We have the highest gas prices right now ($3.75). I get more use out of this than the majority of big trucks on this island. They have lift kits and big tires just to drive around.

Thanks. I really like this truck. We have the highest gas prices right now ($3.75). I get more use out of this than the majority of big trucks on this island. They have lift kits and big tires just to drive around.

Haha been there done that. Parked that gas hog. It wasnt anything but trouble anyways.

Pioneer guy, that is a nice truck :cheers: to that one, cause it looks like it is in great shape. I have a 79 K10 Bonanza and it has the typical Chevy cancer

Headed to the woods in the a.m. to snap some shots and get some more logs out

Quite a few more pics would have been coming, but someone decided to leave the camera on the splitter and then drive off. I walked the trail twice and wasn't able to find it back, but I've got a friend with a metal detector, so I'll give that a shot later this week.

I snapped a loaded pic with the phone though:

attachment.php

It was a productive weekend, even if maybe it was an expensive one!

Pioneer guy, that is a nice truck :cheers: to that one, cause it looks like it is in great shape. I have a 79 K10 Bonanza and it has the typical Chevy cancer

Headed to the woods in the a.m. to snap some shots and get some more logs out[/QUOTE]

Hey L.P. ; that old truck is still quite solid, the frame still has paint on it under a 1/4" thick coat of grease, graphite and oil. Trucks rust out here in 5-7 years if they are not undercoated like mine has been. Only 2 pieces of brake line has ever been replaced on it, the two pieces that run out along the rear axle from the junction block were replaced 2 years back when our road inspection [ Safety Inspection Division ] came up with a new ruling that stated brake lines could not have any rust whatsoever on them, mine had light surface rust on the outer ends where the lines left the axle and turn up toward the wheel cylinder. I replaced them myself much to the chargrin of the inspection station as they wanted to charge me a hefty amount to do it but I replaced them with stainless steel lines. Lately the Inspection division have resinded their ruling as it was too ambigious, it was intended to mean lines that had big rust blisters, deeply pitted lines etc. but the inspection stations jumped onto the bandwagon and were requiring all lines be replaced even if they just had a hint of surface rust on them, do I hear money grab?
Pioneerguy600

Swamp logging WI style

Actually it's not a swamp it's a creek, but the same concept. Do it while it is frozen. I think I figured out embedded images so here is a teaser.

The long "double" in the background is about 24" diameter on the left run.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The creek is quite shallow this time of year. No risk of anything more than a twisted ankle as it was easy to punch through near rocks and shore.

Ice hazard:

attachment.php

The first trees chunked up:

attachment.php

First trees gone:

attachment.php

The beast chunked up:

attachment.php

Saw on one of the more moderately sized chunks:

attachment.php

My Burly helper. Notice the low height of the splitter which is really nice for loading:

attachment.php

A load on the Ranger heading to the cabin. Couldn't risk carrying a rack full of wood on the tractor forks. Wood is cut at 20-24" long for my fireplace:

attachment.php

Last edited:
The Site partially cleared:

attachment.php

Tops remaining. Starting around 8" diameter. I need to get back and pull out so I can cut them up:

attachment.php

Daily Haul We stacked one load in rack. One Ranger load will do a rack plus which is 1/2 face. We made 6 or 7 turns total:

attachment.php

Another angle on the pile:

attachment.php

Well I'll be surprised if the farmer calls me this week unless it turns back cold in the next couple of days.

It warmed up here and rain alot. Nothing but soggy mush here now and it will be tough to get through the field now to get back to the trees.

Sooner or later though..

Great picts Diesel Pro, the wood pile is growing significally, I like working on the ice also when it is thick enough to carry the machinery. Not every year does it get cold long enough to freeze the 16" of ice I like to run the 20 ton excavator across it. Last time we did some ice logging there was 24" of ice and we collected 48 cords of hardwood in three days of activity.
Pioneerguy600

Back