Current picts of wood cutting and weather conditions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about anyone else but I sure as heck don't!!

I just sold one of those guttless gas eating dogs.

No torque for a 3/4 ton pickup, in the shop 3 times in 30K miles, trans leaking, valves and guides replaced, no thank you. Thats why theres a new Ford in the shop right now.

I guess I shouldnt went off like that, I'm sure that will make someone mad but that hit a bad nerve.

We all run into something in our lives that does not work as it should, just got to vent a little and then move on, life is too short to worry about small stuff like machines.
Mark, you are a Poulan sort of guy, have you ever owned or worked on the BP655? I just picked up a real nice one this afternoon, that will make 3 P oulans in the collection now.
Pioneerguy600

Well, it was a bone chilling 55 degrees in my garage as I was getting ready. Down on the coast it was in the 80's, thankfully with some wind. It's usually brutal with no clouds or wind there.
attachment.php

This is a site with an ocean of bulldozed kiawe from about 1992. The wood looks black like it was burnt but it is just dry and hard as a rock. It is very dry and every step kicks up some fine powdery dust.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I took my Stihl 660, Husky 372, and my Pioneer 650 to cut with. I was mainly getting table material but got some firewood as well. The 650 is running great and I have gotten a feel for it. Very nice to cut with. Sorry, I don't have a big truck but I have to drive 70 miles round trip to work and this truck does me quite well.
attachment.php

Great shots Jeff, very much like to see the landscape, it looks very dry there in the picts, that wood must be real hard after drying in that hot sun for so long. The saws look like they had a workout cutting that hard stuff, I cant see any chips, it looks like dust. You would not need a big truck for that application, you would have to camp out for several days to get a truck load. LOL.
Pioneerguy600

We all run into something in our lives that does not work as it should, just got to vent a little and then move on, life is too short to worry about small stuff like machines.
Mark, you are a Poulan sort of guy, have you ever owned or worked on the BP655? I just picked up a real nice one this afternoon, that will make 3 P oulans in the collection now.
Pioneerguy600

Yeah, I feel better now and I'm moving on like you say. LOL

As to the BP655 I have no experiance with them at all. Never seen one around here. It should be no stranger to a Pioneer guy though..

I hope to get up with CbFarmall or Bigbore soon to check theres out though.

Yeah, I feel better now and I'm moving on like you say. LOL

As to the BP655 I have no experiance with them at all. Never seen one around here. It should be no stranger to a Pioneer guy though..

I hope to get up with CbFarmall or Bigbore soon to check theres out though.

It is a close relative of the big P60-62 Pioneers so I am not really shure if its considered a Poulan or a Pioneer, it will be a a fun project either way and maybe we can have a fun filled battle over which make of saw it really is.
Pioneergy600

Great shots Jeff, very much like to see the landscape, it looks very dry there in the picts, that wood must be real hard after drying in that hot sun for so long. The saws look like they had a workout cutting that hard stuff, I cant see any chips, it looks like dust. You would not need a big truck for that application, you would have to camp out for several days to get a truck load. LOL.
Pioneerguy600

That's down on the Kohala coast where the resorts are. Close by the ocean. I was cutting some table tops from by the trunk. It's like cutting marble! I have gotten better at sharpening my chains but after one tank it is dull like I hit a rock. The 650 chews right through it with the bar buried but I doubt if I take it to this spot again. There was some dust that made it through to the choke flap. It's that lava rock dust that is super fine. I'll get some pictures next time I go down south to cut.

That's down on the Kohala coast where the resorts are. Close by the ocean. I was cutting some table tops from by the trunk. It's like cutting marble! I have gotten better at sharpening my chains but after one tank it is dull like I hit a rock. The 650 chews right through it with the bar buried but I doubt if I take it to this spot again. There was some dust that made it through to the choke flap. It's that lava rock dust that is super fine. I'll get some pictures next time I go down south to cut.

When we cut anything real dusty we would put an extra layer of nylon between the layers of the air filter. I always had my mom save a nylon or two once a run developed in hers, we also used nylons as a strainer in our gas funnels as we always had steel gas cans back then and it was common to have rust particles slopping around in the gas cans.
Pioneerguy600

When we cut anything real dusty we would put an extra layer of nylon between the layers of the air filter. I always had my mom save a nylon or two once a run developed in hers, we also used nylons as a strainer in our gas funnels as we always had steel gas cans back then and it was common to have rust particles slopping around in the gas cans.
Pioneerguy600

Thanks-you sir. I'll do that next time.

Got chains sharpened up, food and a couple cold ones in my belly, a fresh battery in the camera, and the saws loaded in the truck. I just have to run up to the local store for a quick gut bomb breakfast and a couple gallons of premium for the saws, then I'm hitting the woods.

Looks to be a beauty of a day for it here in the northland, 10°F at 7AM, partly cloudy and going to a high around freezing, and no wind. I'll be back tomorrow night with some saw p**n for you guys.

Got chains sharpened up, food and a couple cold ones in my belly, a fresh battery in the camera, and the saws loaded in the truck. I just have to run up to the local store for a quick gut bomb breakfast and a couple gallons of premium for the saws, then I'm hitting the woods.

Looks to be a beauty of a day for it here in the northland, 10°F at 7AM, partly cloudy and going to a high around freezing, and no wind. I'll be back tomorrow night with some saw p**n for you guys.

Looking forward to it, cut safe.
Pioneerguy600

Went to the orchard with my son and brought some wood.

img0422w.jpg

The weather, terrible, just judge by yourselves according to the thermometer in ºC.

img0424zm.jpg

Details of living in Mediterranean countries!

Left hand side dry wood from last year. Right hand side, the pile of wood I cut during last couple of month.
img0428ln.jpg

Yes, I work in citrus orchards.

Last edited:

img0422w.jpg

The weather, terrible, just judge by yourselves according to the thermometer in ºC.

img0424zm.jpg

Details of living in Mediterranean countries!

Left hand side dry wood from last year. Right hand side, the pile of wood I cut during last couple of month.
img0428ln.jpg

Well, you have a good stock of firewood ahead for next season. If you mean the weather is terrible at 20 C then I for one would trade you for what we have here. Thanks for posting the picts, much different country where you live.
Pioneerguy600

The weather, terrible, just judge by yourselves according to the thermometer in ºC. +25 !! :blob2:

img0428ln.jpg

A wood fired air conditioner ! Where do I sign up for one !

attachment.php

We have to use ours to melt snow .:cry:

:cheers:

Well, you have a good stock of firewood ahead for next season. If you mean the weather is terrible at 20 C then I for one would trade you for what we have here.

Yes, this year the winter was not just mild, but warm. Lots of rain, no cold. After all just 2 days of light frost in the morning. No one heated their homes for long periods, so I have almost a double amount of firewood for next year. For comparison, last Winter snowed 4 times where I live, there was light snow during the night that melted during the morning.

Thanks for posting the picts, much different country where you live. Pioneerguy600

Indeed you're right. The Mediterranean area is different from the north of the planet. But it is no excuse not to cut firewood and be pleasantly affected by CAD :cheers:

A wood fired air conditioner ! Where do I sign up for one !

If there are gas powered fridges, why not wood powered air conditioner!

I took my Stihl 660, Husky 372, and my Pioneer 650 to cut with. I was mainly getting table material but got some firewood as well. The 650 is running great and I have gotten a feel for it. Very nice to cut with. Sorry, I don't have a big truck but I have to drive 70 miles round trip to work and this truck does me quite well.
attachment.php

Nice saws. And nothing wrong with that truck, we drive a regular cab toyota most of the time cause it gets better mileage and is easier to get around

Yesterday's cutting pics.

I had a good day going yesterday, until I got a call in the middle of the afternoon and got talked into going to the tavern, so now after I get done posting pics for y'all, I have to go back after one that I should have gotten yesterday. The cold beer was welcome after a bit of hard work, though.

First things first, you gotta get to the woods. I strapped the camera down on the dashboard and shot a little wheeling video for ya, it's not so much the snow depth as it is the fact that it's "sugar snow", called that because the texture's about the same, it's been on the ground a long time, and it's now very powdery and slick. Upcoming country singer Jason Brown from Iowa in the CD player:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z2qtplFw4aM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z2qtplFw4aM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Pic of the saws and stuff ready for cutting:

attachment.php

I had a bunch of small ironwoods to clear out, I think there were 5 total. Here's the aftermath of the first 3:

attachment.php

The other two. I had some trouble here, with them hanging up in the edge of the woods brush. Nothing serious, just made for slow cutting and a lot of dragging it out of there piece by piece:

attachment.php

For some reason the splitter tractor had a dead battery, so I put the battery charger to work while I was cutting:

attachment.php

Finally got all the little stuff loaded, and ready to split the bigger stuff. I don't let much ironwood go to the brushpile, it's too good of wood for that, right up there with hedge and locust on the btu charts.

attachment.php

To be continued.

Yours truly with the load of ironwood, I'm trying to keep all of my wood separated by species this year, I think it's an ArboristSite variant of OCD. So I hauled this home, stacked it and went back for round two.

attachment.php

Next up was a maple with a nasty widowmaker hanging in it, it's the tree on the left side of the 3 in the middle. I had planned to get the oak on the right as well yesterday, but I guess that's today's job.

attachment.php

It came down without knocking me on the noggin, so all was well in the end. This was probably my nicest stump all day, not perfect but fairly decent, especially considering that I was watching that dang branch and not my cutting.

attachment.php

Got a small load out of it, and headed back to the house to unload it:

attachment.php

Here's a shot of the woodpile after unloading. From L-R is a 12' row of maple, 16' of ironwood, 22' of red oak, and 46' of elm. It's all stacked 5' high, and +- 20" lengths. So far, it's about 6 full cords for next year.

attachment.php

Headed out again in a while for that oak, then probably off to the ice shack for some R&R for the afternoon.

Latest posts

Back