Curse free sawing?or How much can I curse my saw today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitzer

******** Timber Expert
Reaction score
Well I'm six weeks into a new saw and its been giving me trouble for two weeks now. I already had in for warranty work once (HUGE crack in intake boot) and last night I stole a coil off of a different saw. When I have time I will be bringing that up with them as well. The same things keep failing on these saws and it just costs me more in the long run. One would think I'd at least get through the 90 day comercial warranty period. It just pisses me off when you drop a grand on a saw... Anyway what kind of wrench free time you guys usually see on a saw?

Depends on whether or not I've ran one over recently...

Other wise the older saws are occasionally having fits with fuel lines, and oilers, but they have several years of part time cutting on them, and are well over a decade old.

The brand spank'n new saws... fuel, oil, clean air filter, fresh chain done. Sometimes if I haven't used one in a few weeks it takes 3-4 pulls to start em... and adjust the carb for a new job site once in a while.

I curse myself occasionally. I've not yet had the need to curse my saw. o_O

Kind of sounds like the original 385's. We replaced a lot of intake boots on those.

I think you should see pretty much trouble free use for a few months anyway. Maybe rattle a screw out here or there, fuel filters etc don't count.
Of course we all would like a dollar for every time someone in the service department says "huh, never heard of that happening"

Of course we all would like a dollar for every time someone in the service department says "huh, never heard of that happening"

When they say that I start looking for another shop. There's a John Deere dealer with a Stihl franchise down the hill from me that's famous for saying that. Everything that goes wrong is operator error...according to them.

change over to stihl.

Some guys are slow learners.

Bitz, don't worry, even a Stihl will have a few rare problems. After a long hard life though.

Take that sucker back. If they can't figure it out under warranty, they ain't gonna figure it out. The shop didn't like it, but drop that thing off on the counter, when they balk about it, have them call Husky and explain what's happening or that yo0u will do it for them. They sold ya a bill of goods, make them own up to their end of the deal with a working problem free piece of equipment.

I've been lucky except for one lemon. Came down to change the saw out for another or a complaint would be filed against them with Stihl. If you have another Husky place around the the number from them before you go back. Having the number will rock them on their heels and get things happening quick. I don't even know if you can do that or not, but they didn't call my bluff. I had the number where all the local shops order from.

Owl

This isn't going to turn in another Stihl versus Husky threads is it? I mean, just because the Stihl is a much better saw there's no reason to run Husky down.
Like an old bull buck told me..."There's nothing wrong with running a Husky. They'll do just fine until you can afford a Stihl"

Okay, I'm outta here.

PS....Bitz, I hope you get your problems fixed.

Yeah its the 390. I've got about 150 hours on it. I musta got two lemons then cuz the last saw was about the same. The shop I go to is five minutes from my house and happens to be a husky dealer. They let me steal parts off of display saws, loan out saws, and will let me walk out of there with a new one, no money down. Of course I've put my own personal touches on the saw so I don't know that it will go back. They will honor warranty work and then some though. They are good guys and will work on a ported saw whereas the stihl dealer in town will not (if its been tampered with they say). I used to run stihls, but the customer service just sucks around here. They don't carry pro saws or parts for em. I know my shop can get a 660 for about the same price as my 390 ($975 power head). I don't know guess I had to just ***** about it a little. Thanks for the replys!

Back