Cut issue and scored piston: how much is too much?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing I would have tried to do was stick with OEM pistons and cylinders. I would rather rather buy a clean used OEM piston than new after market.. My 2 cents Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would buy a Meteor piston bf I spit up the money for OEM Stihl.
That's what I was going to buy, but one of the threads I found mentioned issues with their circle clips. Another thread/review I found said good things about the Hyway piston kit so I went that route. It also said they got better compression with the Caber rings, so I threw in another $14 for those.

I've been seeing that some people ditch the base gasket to bump compression up a little....should I do that, or just run it with the new gasket, same as stock? I assume I don't need additional sealant with the gasket, correct? Obviously something would be needed without it.

Again, I appreciate all the help from you guys!! Most forums aren't so eager to help with stuff that's probably been asked a million times.

Been running a meteor piston in an 026 for years. Prob 50 tanks thru that saw. Put a Hyway in a 390 last week so got a chance to compare the 2 pistons as I have an 026 meteor spare. Hyway is better than it was in the recent past but I don't think it is quite up to the meteor. Only 2 tanks thru the 390 so no long term test results but it has been fine so far. Hyway is significantly cheaper though.

My experience when trying to compare China products is that the tolerance usually varies all over the place..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the Hyway is already en-route so I'll give it a shot. I doubt I'll have any issues, I don't cut nearly as much as some people

All my goodies showed up today. I threw the bar and chain on and went out for some testing. It was raining so I only stayed out for about 20 minutes, but it was cutting straight and true through some Oak without issue. I even buried it in some 24" sections and it seemed fine. I got it to bog down a few times, but I was cutting some big, wet logs. I'll probably still throw the new piston and rings in soon, but it still does very well.

Latest posts

Back