Cut marks left on log

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm no pro logger, but we do have select harvest of hardwoods here and it's usually done with chainsaws. Oak, ash, beech, hard & soft maple, black walnut, black cherry, hickory, poplar, cucumbertree, but mostly black cherry on our farm/forest. I've seen some pretty hacked cuts over the years, but nothing like those in my original post. That's why I was curious.

We have a new neighbor who purchased the farm next to us (and a couple others), and the picture was taken near our shared property boundary. He owns a large equipment rental company, and he rents out everything from large excavators to small handheld equipment. The log butts in question were located on his fencing project thourgh mature eastern hardwood forest that went for at least a mile, so I assumed some type of dedicated feller or smaller machine with a feller attachment was likely used. I have yet to talk to my new neighbor to learn what "toy" he had back there.

Thanks for all your input, everyone!

What keeps the chain tensioned on one of those swing and clamp harvester heads?
i.e. is it done hydraulically.
Reason i wonder is if something blocked flow to tensioner and left all the flow
going to the chain motor, I'd imagine the chain would really be singing
and the lose backside would be free to whip around and just the least imbalance in the teeth (consider working conditions) could give a look like that.

What gives me the common hydro question is :
Rented a 120' man lift once and when the boom was above X degrees,
the limit switch on it triggered a flow restricter to the drive wheels
The four wheel motors were on a common line
with no type of flow balancing
and so if one wheel lost traction,
it would freespin and at the restricted volume,
all the fluid would just pass through the one motor
and leave you stuck, as no flow was directed to the other three.
pissed away a good bit of time having debris shoved under the
spinner , to get the damn thing moved,
as it was always in a place where droping the boom wasnt really feasable

After that , I understood why the delivery driver was dragging the boom
as he drove it onsite.

Last edited:
I too believe that it was a chainsaw that left those cutting marks. The rocking is obvious. But I would also like to add another component. I believe that it is highly proboble that the bar and chain where either a mismatch or the bar grooves severly worn. So that the chain could move from side to side during the cut.

I think it was one of these:
attachment.php

View attachment 265479

Latest posts

Back