cutter wheel bearing problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

intheelements

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a Vermeer 222, the cutting wheel bearings were new when I bought the machine. The bearings have about 100 hours on them and well no longer take grease even though I clean and grease the machine at the end of the day. The bearings seem fine except for the grease problem. The grease flows through the fittings, but well not flow through the channel and around the bearings. I know that the channels are clogged with hard grease and or dirt. Any ideas on how to clear the channels.

Buy a grease buster. You load it with solvent, place it on the fitting, and HIT it with a 3lb+ hammer. The good ones work. Try "Buzzard Gulch" @1-800-821-2932. They have a choice of 5 models from $28.00 to $50.00. With a name like "Buzzard Gulch" they must be good to stay in business. I've dealt with them for years.

dieseldude

You can also try to grease the bearing when it warm from use, bearing expands when warm and warm grease will flow better. Good luck.

Thanks for the help

Thanks Dieseldude and Dadatwins. I let the bearings heat up and then cleared them with my air compressor. It worked

not strickly true Rolla, but ours are in a lovely bath of oil....long live shaft drive....How is your vibration problem? Have you done the mod on your electric clutch yet...does the knocking bug you like it does me?

vibration prob was all in my mind ,just this machine vibrates a little more than my old 252,no i dont have any problems with the clutch knocking can't say i have heard any proper knocking you sure its not the drive shaft ???

It's the bar from the electric clutch..tapping on the bottom of the shaft drive belt cover....apparently some people are tack welding it still.....the noise bugs me but at least i know what it is now....are you well Rolla?

Latest posts

Back