Cuttin' Dirty Wood - Tips?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread. I am always trying to figure out new ways to cut dirty wood.

A few years back I purchased several truck loads of log length wood that had been skidded though a gravel pit. I used wire brush to clean the area before every cut. That was a ton of wire brushing averaging 15 cuts per log. I have had good luck pressure washing them in the past but I was not near a water source.

I do have a carbide chain and have had good luck with it thus far, but haven't run it enough to sharpen it yet.

Lately I have been run two saws, one that is sacraficial and the other to do the cutting. I cut just enough with the sacraficial saw to clean an area to make a regular or plung cut with the other saw pulling the dirt away from the log.

1953greg said:
like,
i have removed many logs from bulldozed piles but certainly not hundreds!! i just knock off the worse w/ a hatchet or spud bar and leter rip. seems to me you might be expecting a little much from your chains as far as staying sharp goes. 20-40 trees and a chain needs sharpening!! sometimes its more like 5-10 for me. also, from what i can tell from the pic they dont look bad dirty at all. have cut many much dirtier than that. maybe the photo is a cleaner one.

not much help but i think you may be expecting too much.
let us know if you find any secrets

good luck n good day

As I have stated a couple of times, "this chain does better than I expected".
I am not complaining about the chain. Just looking for "a better idea".:D

I was not clear on sharpening the chain. When I said every 20 -40 trees, I was referring to mostly only one cut per tree. Most are smaller than the one in the pic. Just cuttin' off the stump and pileing for chipping/biomass. I have saved a few logs, but not many.

The log in the pic doesn't show the dirt very well. It could be a lot worst if I didn't take care of them right after digging. Then there would be mud....I have been doing this since spring, and I am lucky enough to have the luxury of waiting for the right conditions. If we get a soaker rain, I will wait 2-3 days before digging.

The advantage I have is that the soil is loose and a large wire brush takes care of a lot of it, but there is plenty of dirt still there in the bark.

If I find any "secrets", I will share, and then it won't be a secret anymore....:Eye:

Just another thought, I do like the air compressor idea and have a gas powered one that would solve a lot of issues you have, but I am thinking you are a canadate for stihl RM2 chain. I hate using it, but it is harder than heck to dull, my thought is the humps will knock off the dirt before the cutter hits it. Just an opinion.
Andy

Latest posts

Back