Cutting speeds of different size chains, .325 vs. 3/8

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't 3/8's the width of the chain?

From the Oregon manual:

attachment.php

Seems a little silly at first. But the distance between the 2 rivets on a tie strap may not be the same as the distance between the rivet holes on the drive link. By measuring 3, then dividing by 2, you get a consistent number.

As far as the width of the kerf, I think that varies with the design of the chain and cutters. Narrow kerf chain is certainly narrower. And all conventional chain gets narrower as it is ground/filed/worn away.

Philbert

From the Oregon manual:

attachment.php

Seems a little silly at first. But the distance between the 2 rivets on a tie strap may not be the same as the distance between the rivet holes on the drive link. By measuring 3, then dividing by 2, you get a consistent number.

As far as the width of the kerf, I think that varies with the design of the chain and cutters. Narrow kerf chain is certainly narrower. And all conventional chain gets narrower as it is ground/filed/worn away.

Philbert

The main problem with that is that 3/8" chain isn't really 3/8", or .375".

A similar 3/8ths running on a 7 pin and a .325 on an 8 pin will cut very similar.
A .325 has more cutters per foot but the 7 pin 3/8ths rim is bigger.

Mike

Surely, but what does that really prove - that I missed in earlier posts in this thread? My guess is nothing! :msp_wink:

Surely, but what does that really prove - that I missed in earlier posts in this thread? My guess is nothing! :msp_wink:

It proves that in order to make things equal, you have to run an 8 pin rim on the .325.
You can't drag more cutters at a slower speed and expect it to be as fast!:cheers:

Mike

Dolmar 5105 sprocket size

Hello, I'm new to this site but wanted to know if my Dolmar with a .325 x 7 would be better with the 8 tooth sprocket. Also I put the 5100 muffler on and is this good enough for should i still port that? It has the stihl RC chain.
thanks

Hello, I'm new to this site but wanted to know if my Dolmar with a .325 x 7 would be better with the 8 tooth sprocket. Also I put the 5100 muffler on and is this good enough for should i still port that? It has the stihl RC chain.
thanks

There is only one way to find out for sure, trying the option yourself. Rims are cheap....;)

There is only one way to find out for sure, trying the option yourself. Rims are cheap....;)

Ime, it is really close between .325x7, .325x8 and 3/8"x7 in medium sized wood (7-11") with both the 5100S and the 346xp. The Husky was consistantly faster though, with all option. Chain was 21LP in .325, and 73LP in 3/8", so as close as it can get. The chains were new, filed once, and rakers set with the "soft" setting of the respective Husky guide.

Hello, I'm new to this site but wanted to know if my Dolmar with a .325 x 7 would be better with the 8 tooth sprocket.

Welcome to A.S. etrainey25!

There is only one way to find out for sure, trying the option yourself.

SawTroll - can you usually change a sprocket without having to add or remove a link from a chain?

Thanks.

Philbert

SawTroll - can you usually change a sprocket without having to add or remove a link from a chain?

Thanks.

Philbert[/QUOTE]

I'll answer for the Troll. Yes. I go between a 7 and 8 on my 385 with no problem. More than enough play in most tensioners to make this work.

Thanks.

Philbert

I'll answer for the Troll. Yes. I go between a 7 and 8 on my 385 with no problem. More than enough play in most tensioners to make this work.

There are no problems with swapping beetween 7- and 8-pin on any of my saws, but there always are a chance that it will. :msp_smile:

Last edited:
In all honesty you'll have to test it yourself to make a decision as mentioned here previously.
For example I compared my old Dolmar 5100-S with both .325" semi and 3/8" semi. The 3/8" was not only faster in the cut but also wears considerably better which is something else to take into consideration. Many people on AS have said that they think .325" is faster on a 5100-S. Faster in a couple of cuts means very little after a whole days cutting as there are many other factors to consider. Dragging a wider kerf with 3/8" uses more fuel but the smaller .325" cutters wear faster plus there are more of them to sharpen. This all adds up after many hours.
Another example is my new Husky 550XP. Many people on AS have said that it is faster with 3/8" yet I haven't found much in it at all and am currently running it with .325" and an 8 pin rim. .325" is far smoother than 3/8".
In the end you have to try both and make your own decisions as the type of timber you cut also makes a massive difference. In some of our dirty, dead hardwoods .325" isn't even worth bothering with and it goes blunt far too quick to be worthwhile.

thanks

My 5105 pulls a 3/8-7 pretty well so a .325-8 should be just fine. I would just pick up a rim and give it a whirl, you might like it. I run a .325-8 on my Poulan 3450 and it rips really well.

Latest posts

Back