Cylinder Pitting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is an OEM Stihl TS420. Almost new. Was straight gassed but cleaned up easily. But, these pits make me wonder whether to reuse it or not.
Think this will be a problem ? Appears to be a manufacturing defect. What do you think ?

P.S., if anybody knows how to make this photo show without having to click on it I would appreciate it.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ah308/rgerringer/IMG_0286.JPG

IMG_0286.JPG

How was it cleaned up? If there were scores through the plating and acid used might eat holes. The holes should not be there.

No acid was used. Matter of fact other than one line of transferred aluminum the cylinder was pretty clean. I used a Dremel tool with with a sand paper flapper to get that out. The transfer was not where the pitting is.

It came from the factory that way, and it appears to me that it was actually in the aluminum, not plating that has flaked off. But, who knows.

Question is whether to use it with an OEM piston that I can get for $55, or put a Chinese top end on it.

I would put in oem or meteor piston in it. Offshore cyl kits are horrible on TS saws. Plating comes off on ones that I have seen. I don’t think holes will be issue, the saw is rev limited. As long there are no high spots on holes should be fine IMO

No acid was used. Matter of fact other than one line of transferred aluminum the cylinder was pretty clean. I used a Dremel tool with with a sand paper flapper to get that out. The transfer was not where the pitting is.

It came from the factory that way, and it appears to me that it was actually in the aluminum, not plating that has flaked off. But, who knows.

Question is whether to use it with an OEM piston that I can get for $55, or put a Chinese top end on it.
For the gamble of 55.00 go ahead, it will prob run better than the China Junk!

Back